No announcement yet.

Pics of the Alumastars and M/T's mounted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What psi are you going to initially run in the 28x10.5W's?

Comment

I'm not sure.... this is the first pair of slicks that I have run with tubes in them.... so I don't know how the tubes will affect them. I would guess maybe 12psi..... but I might start a little higher than that.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I think I am going to try 14 psi and slowly work down until it is right.

Comment

Fred, did you find anything in the NHRA rule book concerning the tires?

Comment

The rule book is on my desk.... unfortunately right now it is under 6 income tax returns (Federal and NJ) that I need to finish up.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Do you guys have any issues with rubbing on the launch? I know Fred said watch the 28 inch tire as it may rub as the tire grows with trap speed, but what about launching? Does the rear squat enough to cause a problem. My tread is tucked under the quarter, but the sidewall may rub
              Attached Files
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                Do you guys have any issues with rubbing on the launch? I know Fred said watch the 28 inch tire as it may rub as the tire grows with trap speed, but what about launching? Does the rear squat enough to cause a problem. My tread is tucked under the quarter, but the sidewall may rub
                I've only launched the car with a 26" tire so this 28" will be new to me. I am planning on running a pretty fast trap speed so tire growth may become a factor.

It looks like I will have to end up radiusing the fender a little.

I guess I will find out soon enough!

Comment

From my experience, you don't want it to "squat" on launch.... you want it to stay level in the back, or possibly even rise slightly. The Eibach Drag Launch springs promote that, raising the back of the car about 1/2". The LCA relocation brackets promote that, driving the car body up at the connection of the LCA to the subframe. I run the adjustable shocks close to the mid-point... 5 or 6 clicks up.

My main concern on launch is the poly bushings... they will compress a little, and there are two of them, so the axle is going to push forward slightly. I just picked up a new set of LCA's with the rod ends, to eliminate that possibility.

A friend of mine who runs extremely high HP and trap speeds finds that the tires really start to distort at the loads go up.... they aren't round any more, and the biggest area of growth is at the rear. I think you just have to make every effort to remove all the sharp edges, so that is something does hit, it will just be rubbing on a smooth surface, and not getting sliced open on some sheetmetal edge.

As far as the NHRA rule book and fender/tire location, you have to look at specific classes, since the "General Regulations" are for all cars, from dragsters, through open wheel cars, to "stock" style bodies.

"Stock Eliminator" - "Tire tread may not extend outside fender."

"Pro Modified" - "Tires may not extend outside body line."

"Super Stock" - "Tire tread may not be outside fender".

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                    I've only launched the car with a 26" tire so this 28" will be new to me. I am planning on running a pretty fast trap speed so tire growth may become a factor.

It looks like I will have to end up radiusing the fender a little.

I guess I will find out soon enough!
                    Mine are 26x11.5x15's, so I dont think I will have any problems, but like you said - theres only one way to find out! I may get a set of the LCA brackets that Fred is talking about - we'll see how it goes. It seems like the list is never ending.
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

N20LT4Bird, how close are you to running at the track?

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                        From my experience, you don't want it to "squat" on launch.... you want it to stay level in the back, or possibly even rise slightly. The Eibach Drag Launch springs promote that, raising the back of the car about 1/2". The LCA relocation brackets promote that, driving the car body up at the connection of the LCA to the subframe. I run the adjustable shocks close to the mid-point... 5 or 6 clicks up.

My main concern on launch is the poly bushings... they will compress a little, and there are two of them, so the axle is going to push forward slightly. I just picked up a new set of LCA's with the rod ends, to eliminate that possibility.

A friend of mine who runs extremely high HP and trap speeds finds that the tires really start to distort at the loads go up.... they aren't round any more, and the biggest area of growth is at the rear. I think you just have to make every effort to remove all the sharp edges, so that is something does hit, it will just be rubbing on a smooth surface, and not getting sliced open on some sheetmetal edge.

As far as the NHRA rule book and fender/tire location, you have to look at specific classes, since the "General Regulations" are for all cars, from dragsters, through open wheel cars, to "stock" style bodies.

"Stock Eliminator" - "Tire tread may not extend outside fender."

"Pro Modified" - "Tires may not extend outside body line."

"Super Stock" - "Tire tread may not be outside fender".

Thanks for the info Fred.

It looks like I will have the tread just inder the upper fender body line. The 4" BS on these alumastars pushes the wheel out alittle more than normal, but deep dish "look" looks sweet!

Comment

Some more Pics:

I think the tread will be inside the fender enough. What do you think?

A look at some of the custom bracketry on the rear end. The chassis needs to be wiped down. It got dirty being shipped!

Charged Air Systems fabricated rear sumped fuel tank.

Installing the Painless wiring harness:

Comment

Working...
                          X