T/A's Dead - Need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T/A's Dead - Need help

The other day I was hot rodding around, running great, and I parked my car. 2-3 hours later, I went out to start it, and the motor wouldn't catch. Cranks fine, but wont really even act like it want's to fire. Got plenty of gas, injectors are firing (I lifted the rail and cranked the motor to be sure) I have a nice blue-white spark, seems to be timing it correctly (just before it sparks I feel a puff of air out the plug hole) I checked the #1 and #6 plugs.

I assumed the spark I was seeing was the intermittent spark of a dying opti, but I replaced the distributor today (along with the control module), and neither seems to work (I checked the spark after and it was doing the same thing as before)

I even thought maybe a busted timing chain could be the culprit, so I popped a valve cover, and made sure my rockers were moving, and they were.

I'm completely clueless as to the problem - in my experience, fuel+spark = go-power

'95 Trans Am, Auto, CAI, free mods, no other engine mods.

If you have any ideas, please post

are the spark plugs dry if you remove them after cranking the engine?
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

You might want to scan for codes if possible or have someone do it for you. Also see if you can check your fuel pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail (you need a gauge). Otherwise you could unplug the MAf and pull the intake elbow off the TB and squirt some gas in there and see if it tries to fire. It might give you a clue which direction to go. If you suspect the timing chain then you can always ground the coil wire & crank testing it while listening into the open butterflies. You will hear compression escaping. Ditto with a bad intake lifter/valve except it will be only one cylinder (a single cylinder is not your problem though). You can also crank test and listen to the exhaust in a similar manner. These are just diagnostics that guy can do who doesn't have any fancy equipment. If. you have a friend who is an electronic tech, then get a scope on the ignition secondary and see if it is at least 30kV open circuit & 12kV or so on a firing plug.

Comment

are the spark plugs dry if you remove them after cranking the engine?
        No, they're wet with gas - I actually took the thing to a local service center a couple of days ago, and they informed me that the spark plugs were fouled and they wouldn't proceed without replacement (they said their mechanic pulled one out and was accompanied with a slew of gas and carbon). i was skeptical (I R+R'd the plugs and wires last October with NGK TR55 plugs) so I pulled out #1 and #3. #1 was slightly carbon fouled, with little wear present, and on top of that, it sparked fine when grounded to the block. #3 was nearly new (porcelean still looked white).

I was irritated at the shop for telling me this (they tried to tell me the plugs were probablty the only problem - It was running fine when I shut her off, so I seriously doubted the plugs were that bad), so I had it towed home.

I also sprayed starting fluid right into the butterflies, with the same results, so I'm assuming that fuel is good supply.

as far as the timing chain goes, I saw my rockers move when the motor cranked. I can't rule out the chain jumping a tooth, however, is there a good test for this, or do I have to pull the front cover?

Comment

If the plugs are wet then I would be inclined to blame the opti. How long has it been since the opti was replaced? Sometimes when the water pump is going bad it will drool anti-freeze onto the opti and burn it out.

96 TA Sold!
          87 TA Sold!
          80 Z28 Sold!
          74 Formula Sold!
          73 Z28 Sold!
          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

How long has it been since the opti was replaced?
            I thought this had to be the culprit also, so yesterday I replaced it. I get a more intense spark at the plugs, but no difference in starting- still dead.

I'm starting to think either the PCM is screwed up, and grossly overfueling, or I jumped a tooth on the timing chain.

Can Anybody tell me if jumping a tooth would cause my condition?

Comment

im not going to saw that jumping a tooth is impossible, but its pretty close to impossible on a SBC with a timing chain. thats a lot of stretching to do and it would have made some noise if it was that loose.
              2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
              1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
              past rides:
              1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
              2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
              1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
              2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
              2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
              1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
              1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
              1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Working...
              X