stock WS6 e/t & ram air question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock WS6 e/t & ram air question

I just got my new (well new to me) 2002 WS6, and high perf. pontiac tested one back in '02 and got a 13.13 out of it. This seems a little exaggerated. My TA is stock, so what kind of quarter mile times can I expect? Plus, the ram air induction on it doesn't seem very "ram air". Baffles in the hood? Is there an aftermarket setup for a better flow of air?
    95 Trans am-3.73 posi, 1.6 rollers, cold air induc. flowmaster, no cat.'s, power programmer w/ 160 degree stat, torque arm, bbk underdrive pulley, 52mm throttle body.

Some have drilled holes through the baffles or just cut two square holes.

Draw back seems to be when it rains, you get water into the air filter.

Ooops just realized you have an 02. The ones I'm talking about are the pre 98's ram air hoods. Not sure how it looks on yours.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

13.13 is realistic for a strong 02 LS1 with solid driving.

The fastest stock LS1 f-body ever ran a 12.8 (it was a 99 z28 I believe...)

As for the baffles in the hood... there is a kit called BG Ram Air. Do a Google search for it. Some guy came up with the kit in his driveway, and there is actually a good amount of horsepower that it can gain in the high MPH ranges. It takes out the baffles, and actually seals the hood to the airbox, so no air turbulence is created by air that flows through the hood but doesn't make it into the intake.

Also search ls1tech.com... they were talking about this kit a couple days ago, I will try to find you the link too.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Here is the thread I was talking about. Hope it helps.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...hlight=Ram+Air
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Re: stock WS6 e/t & ram air question

Originally posted by WS6 freek
          I just got my new (well new to me) 2002 WS6, and high perf. pontiac tested one back in '02 and got a 13.13 out of it. This seems a little exaggerated. My TA is stock, so what kind of quarter mile times can I expect? Plus, the ram air induction on it doesn't seem very "ram air". Baffles in the hood? Is there an aftermarket setup for a better flow of air?
          This debate has raged for several years. It certainly appears that the press cars used for testing by the magazines were hotter than standard production cars. That's why you saw a 13.13 by GMHTP. They were suspicious as well. Lastly they ordered a Collector edition SS from the regular production examples and it was going to be a personal ride for one of the employees. It was tested and ran 13.5s..... That seems to be the average. There are a few that are faster, the majority right at the average and some a little slower. The 6 speed couple with no t-tops and a hotter tune will be quicker than an automatic convertible with the same state of tune. I run low 13s with my 97 and have yet to lose to a stock LS1, the quickest was a tie. Some had a higher trap speed at the end of the quarter, but they all seem to do the same thing. I instantly take them and stretch the lead until the 1/8th mile where they start to regain ground. Sometimes they do, mostly they don't quite make it up by the finish line.

There will be guys here that yell BS, a stock LS1 is soooo much faster, etc. LS1s are quicker than a slow example of an LT1, a stronger LT-1 can be faster than a weaker LS1. It's all about production variances and the luck of the draw. The same thing happened with LT1s when they came out. Some couldn't get out of the 14s, yet right out of the box mine ran mid to 13s. I drove many of them an when i found the one I currently have, I knew I was buying this one as soon as I hit the gas.

I'm going out on a limb and give you a best guess: My guess is around a 13.45 at about 105. That seems to be the majority of the times on average for a stock LS1.

An aftermarket air housing lid is a better design and worth about a tenth.

Comment

I don't disagree with Joe, all I am saying is that a 13.1 is not out of the realm of possibility.

You have the fact that it is a 2002 LS1 already going for you (the 01s and 02s seem to be the strongest of the bunch). Even still, you will need a stronger than average car, and better than average driving. But it is definitely possible.

Look at my time. A trap of 109 is very high (I have grown a little suspicious of the traps at that track for this reason). If I was a good enough driver, I should have been able to work myself into the 12s with that. I have a friend who ran a 13.17 @ 107 in his '00 SS.

I agree with Joe that if I ventured to guess, a 13.4 @ 105 would eb a safe bet. But you'll never know until you give it a shot. Keep us updated

Comment

Well I know the '01 and '02's had a new cam from the factory and my '02 Ws6 has an LS6 intake. I took it to a local track last night and by asking around, this track is the worst one within a 100 mile area and is not recommended to get a last word on an e/t. Sadly and not suprisingly I ran a 14.02 @ 100. By standing alongside the strip you can see a significant upward slope at the end of the track, way before the finish line, more like between the 1/8 and the end. I raced an '01 vette with an aftermarket exhaust and he got a 13.6 @ 105. He told me to get a better time go to his favorite strip which is south of Dallas in a town called Ennis. This is definetely on my to do list. Thank you guys for all the feedback and help with the ram air issue.
              95 Trans am-3.73 posi, 1.6 rollers, cold air induc. flowmaster, no cat.'s, power programmer w/ 160 degree stat, torque arm, bbk underdrive pulley, 52mm throttle body.

Comment

I've seen a lot of 108 and 109 trap speeds at the track and the mags as well since 98.
                I got my ass handed to me by a bone stock WS6 6 speed that ran a 13.0 and I beat a stock SS that ran a 14.2 (i talked to the driver, he said he was new to the drag racing thing and spun all of 1st, 2nd and half of 3rd )...it's always been like that. the mags will get a pre-production ringer that runs great times with test equipment and a full tank and we, the general public (yes including us experienced 1/4 milers) get the run of mill examples that don't turn the same numbers.

I was lucky once and got a factory freak that ran 13s stock...and then I've had dogs, so yeah, 13.1 is entirely possible
                1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Originally posted by FireFinder20
                  I've seen a lot of 108 and 109 trap speeds at the track and the mags as well since 98.
                  I got my ass handed to me by a bone stock WS6 6 speed that ran a 13.0 and I beat a stock SS that ran a 14.2 (i talked to the driver, he said he was new to the drag racing thing and spun all of 1st, 2nd and half of 3rd )...it's always been like that. the mags will get a pre-production ringer that runs great times with test equipment and a full tank and we, the general public (yes including us experienced 1/4 milers) get the run of mill examples that don't turn the same numbers.

I was lucky once and got a factory freak that ran 13s stock...and then I've had dogs, so yeah, 13.1 is entirely possible
                  Don't forget that one of the big 3 mags tested a Camaro SS and ran a 13.8 @ 106 or something pathetic like that...

Comment

I know, right! They did manage a 12.99 from the Hurst/Pontiac T/A and deemed it quickest stock F-Body since the 13.1 89 Turbo T/A...same mags went 14.0 in a Mach 1...MM&FF got 12.7x on a DR and 13.0 stock?

the big 3 kill me
                    1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Working...
                    X