strange squeaking from pass rear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange squeaking from pass rear

okay...its been like this for a few weeks now. Before I got new rotors and pad put on...I noticed a squeaking from the passenger rear. Faster I go, the faster the sqeak...when I braked it stopped; as soon as I start to accelerate again, it'll start again.

I figured it was my pads are rotors...last week, I get the new rotors and pads put on on all the corners (great stopping if I might add). I can't hear the squeaking anymore (GREAT!!!) but when I asked a buddy to drive it and see how the braking was I can hear the squeaking from the outside...very faint, but you can hear it. The pads are lil noisy, but I like that...and it's not the pads making the noise, because it's the exact same noise I got before I changed the rotors and pads.

I jacked the rear end and turned my tires...no squeaking...I take off my tires and turned to discs...no squeaking...I looked around and didn't notice anything binding or touching...looks normal, but when I drive her...there's that annoying squeaking! It gets worse over time I might add...

Nothing seems wrong...drives fine...any ideas what it could be??? The only thing I can think of is that it's axel related...just need your guy's input...might need to take it to get looked at.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

well...

If you have ever gotten ANY side impact on either rear wheel it very well may be one of the axles. The flanges on these axles are VERY prone to bending. The reason you don't hear it when it's off the ground is it's not loaded and it takes the weight of the car to make the interfernce happen. I have been through two axles and they were bent so slightly it didn't affect driving at all it was jsut enough to make it rub and cause the noise you describe. The impacts mine recieved were so slight I never thought anything of it, until the noise....Just something to consider.
    NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
    (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

what kind of impacts? Like rubbing against a curb or going over it? How about hitting stuff on the highway. Not that I'm guilty of it...(I'm really not). Any ideas how much a rear end cost?

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

YES

Even slight impacts like you describe...good news though you don't need the whole thing just the axle shaft, they are easy to locate used and very reasonably priced.
        NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
        (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

whew... Thanks for the info...got me scared for a minute LOL

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Your problem sounds very similar to mine. My problem is definately caused by the passenger rear caliper hanging. I will be taking it in for the 6th time on Monday. If by some miracle they manage to figure it out, I'll let you know.

Things I know won't fix it:

New Caliper
            New Rotor
            New Pads
            New Brake Lines
            New Bracket
            New Positioning Bolts

Good luck.

96 TA Sold!
            87 TA Sold!
            80 Z28 Sold!
            74 Formula Sold!
            73 Z28 Sold!
            69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

You can have a shop check the axle and then the brake disc for runout(wobble) with a dial indicator. If it's got too much runout, replace the axle.

Comment

Working...
              X