RPMs and max. torque question....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPMs and max. torque question....

Yesterday, the air conditioning automotive mechanic asked me how many RPMs does a LT1 stock 94-97 engine need to reach in order to deliver maximum torque?.......well I do not know so I ask to the experts...
    Thanks in advance for the reply
    Take care
    Doc
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Hey Doc!

That's a loaded question. The stock engine itself depends on the effeciency of the bolt on parts. The more restrictive, the lower the torque peak. Stock exhaust manifolds, stock exhaust, stock intake might make peak torque at 3200 rpm. Next a stock engine but shortie headers, Y pipe, cat back and cold air and peak torque may come at 3500. Add a set of good flowing heads, peak torque with an otherwise stock engine will be in the 4500 range.

Does that help?

Comment

Thanks Joe !!

It helps a lot!..Thanks...It was a good question and I couldn't find any info in the GM Service Manual.
      He thinks an engine capable to mantain its RPMs & max torque, that engine will have the best performance than those with RPMs up&down.
      Thanks again
      Take care
      Doc

Comment

what rpm's are you shifting at now, Doc...after the heads and stuff? after all was said and done, Ed had me set at 6400..i never went that far.. i put a pill in my shift light for 6200.

just curious.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Howdy Ken !!...

as you maybe recall my car is A4; when the ported heads were installed, i went with a thinner head gaskets, so the comp ratio increased. The PCM was reprogrammed by Ed Wright a long time before this event. Anyways, I e mailed to Ed asking if I had to send the PCM to reprogramm again. He said not. So, the shiftings are the same when the PCM was originally reprogrammed.
          The mechanic was courious about the RPM&Max torque because the mods installed in my car: K&N FIPK, 3" SLP on da left, !TB, 160° & fans kicking sooner, air foil...mainly.
          Glad to hear from you. Best regards
          Take care
          Doc

Comment

Working...
          X