Kumho tires....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kumho tires....

Does anyone here have any opinions on this brand of tires. I found a set that looks pretty good, at a good price but haven't heard much about the brand. Any input would be great.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

I had a set and I really liked them. Good straight line grip. Fair side acceleration grip. Excellent in the rain.

Ken C. (Wolfman) might be able to clarify but I have heard rumor of the Kumho's cracking after time.

Comment

I had a set of Ecsta Supra 712's and I really liked them. Good straight line grip. Fair side acceleration grip. Excellent in the rain.

Ken C. (Wolfman) might be able to clarify but I have heard rumor of the Kumho's cracking after time. Mine never showed any signs of cracking however.

Comment

Cool, thanks man! I'll have to ask Ken about them.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Kumho's

I just purchased my second set. Never had any trouble with them and they seem to wear well. This set will be somewhat experiemental since I am placing them on a '94 Z with over 400 hp. The first set was on a mostly stock '94 Z. If they wear as good as the first ones I'll be happy
          '94 Z Patriot Red M6. 355 with forged crank; pistons; and hardened arms; AI heads; Custom cam; Cloyes true roller rocker timing chain; crane coil; Accell 36 lb injectors; B&M ripper; AS&M 58mm TB; Jet Hot Long Tubes; Spec Stage 3 clutch; 3" catback with Flowmaster; CSI elec water pump; vented opti; poly mounts on motor and trans; custom valve covers; 160 degree themo; high volume oil pump; K&N Air induction http://www.cardomain.com/ride/577474/1

Comment

The best tires I've ever invested were the Michelen Pilot's. They come stock on Vipers. I remember I gripped so hard, my cd player started skipping because of the wheel hop. Great tires! $736.00 for only the 2 rears, expensive but worth it.
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I have the ectsa supra 712s as well on a stocker TA. My car sees limited mileage and maybe 2 track appearances a year. So far no complaints. Decent tire for the price. Last year they didnt hook so well at the Lebanon vally dragstrip in NY but then again no one could get traction..poor track prep for a rental I guess. This year i plan on rotating them front to back and doing it again.

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
                Cool, thanks man! I'll have to ask Ken about them.
                belt edge stability...(enabling the rapid change of direction of the footprint) is not as good as most of the premium high perf. tires.... thats why they are cheaper...and treadwear is slightly less.

groove cracking (tiny cracks forming in the grooves between the tread blocks) also seems to be complaint. that can lead to rapid deterioration of the tread and chunking.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                  groove cracking (tiny cracks forming in the grooves between the tread blocks) also seems to be complaint. that can lead to rapid deterioration of the tread and chunking.
                  My $230 a tire Goodyears were the worst with this problem. After three years, they looked as though they had 20 years of dry-rot. The Goodyear GSCs were absolutely the worst tire I ever owned!!! ...mainly because I paid way more then those crumby tires were worth; I would have been better off with a set of Futura Zs from Pep Boys...what a huge waste of money. I don't think expensive "premium high perf. tires...." is always the answer. Go with what best works for your particular application and how you will drive your vehicle...spending $275 or $300 a tire might be kinda dumb for some people's situation. When I drove the car daily in the snow, I opted for the BFG KDWS. When I retired the car, I went with the Sumitomos, that I am completely happy with, rather then drop a ton of money on tires. I have already had two nails through my right rear 315/35/17 in the first 500 miles. Well, If I paid $300+ for the BFG or Michelin, I would have been pretty ticked that it was pretty much worthless now. I wasn't going to drop double or triple the cash for a set of BFGs or Michelins for a car that sits mostly in the garage and drives through construction zones every time I take it out of the garage. I guess if it spent more time on the track with it, I would be inclined to buy a set of better tires mounted on rims dedicated for track use, and use my Sumitomos for street driving. Also, I don't know a company that didn't put out a bad batch of tires at one point or another. I would read the reviews on a few different tires in your price range with similar cars and street habits as yours; from what I have read, there are a lot of happy customers of the Ecsta Supra 712's and some dissapointed ones. I guess if you expect a $140 tire to hold up to a $300 tire on the track, you might be pretty dissapointed. 'but, if you put the $300 tire on the street; you might be kinda dissapointed if it gets trashed...but it would be pretty cool if you could use the $140 tire for what it was designed for and replace them as need be. ...just my .02.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                    The best tires I've ever invested were the Michelen Pilot's. They come stock on Vipers. I remember I gripped so hard, my cd player started skipping because of the wheel hop. Great tires! $736.00 for only the 2 rears, expensive but worth it.
                    Michelin Pilot Sports definitely hold the ground better than any tire I have ever owned. They far exceeded the grip of my BFG KD's. Cornering was almost scary they were so sticky!

Most definitely worth the money!

Comment

Im still a firestone guy .... but they dont realy make any thing to fit my car.... the firehawk sz50 doesnt come in 245/50zr16 so unless i buy rims im stuck with the stupid toyos.
                      -Nick-
                      95 A4 Z28

Comment

Firestone SZ50EPs rock, plain and simple!

I have a set of kumho 712s... came as a package and hate them. Not much grip, IMHO. They are in the for sale forum. My Fiero came with kumhos and the tires started chunking and literally came apart.

Pep Boys Future Ultra Z is made by Cooper. Had a few sets, not a bad tire for the money. I can tell you that new Futuras have better grip than worn out SZ50s, I got 40K miles out of one set. I even cut an easy 1.9 60' on these. For a less expensive tire, I felt a solid choice when faced with the situation of needing decent tires, but can't shell out the dough for a top of the line tire.

GSCs I thought were garbage. The car didn't hook well and when it did, the line between hooking and spinning was very narrow and not driver friendly. I wouldn't put a second set on if they were free.

Comment

Originally posted by 95z28
                          Im still a firestone guy .... but they dont realy make any thing to fit my car.... the firehawk sz50 doesnt come in 245/50zr16 so unless i buy rims im stuck with the stupid toyos.
                          What?

I guess you missed these...................

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Comment

Working...
                          X