To dyno or not to dyno?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To dyno or not to dyno?

OK guys is it stupid to throw my car on a dyno just because I want to "see what she'll do"? The local club here is having a dyno day and I want to run the car. I am not in need of any tuning yet - I only have bolt-ons - is it dumb to put the car through the wear and tear of the dyno for no reason?

Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Some times the only way to be satisfied is to measure it. I had mine dyno'd for 2 reasons.

1.) To find out a basline before mods, so I could calculate the increase that I got.

2.)Make sure that nothing was wrong that I didn't know about.

Turns out that I found an ignition problem that would not have shown up anywhere else until it was too late.

If you get a chance, why not?

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
    95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
    Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

It is always a good idea to establish a baseline RWHP before you start to mod. And like WICKED LT1 said it can give you much more "in depth" diagnostic troubleshooting.

And a dyno tune does not cause any "wear and tear". That is no more than stomping the gas pedal to get on the highway.

Comment

go ahead youll find out exactly what your car has now so you know what your mods do

Comment

I agree with everyone. I'm going to dyno my T/A tomorrow to make sure everything's running right, see how much power she'll put out, and see if there's any damage due to previous vandalism. I personally think that any of those 3 reasons should be ample to get a car dynoed
          Let us know your results!!
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Kind of what I thought just wanted some opinions.

Good luck Craig - I have been following the probs you had with the vandalism - I hope all is well.

I am just hoping to see 300+ hp and tq at the rear wheels - I would be happy with that - the more the better of course
            Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Working...
            X