Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helpl me with my speech about cars!!! Please!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpl me with my speech about cars!!! Please!!

Ok, I have to do a persuasive speech for my speech class at Harper College. I am going to try to pursuade people to buy a domestic over an import ride. I need more facts on why people should buy them such as, it will help out the economy, provide more jobs, ect.... I only want stuff that has some factual background to it. I dont want stuff like.. cuz they are better, and other bogus things. But if anybody has any really good reasons, let me know, and if you want give me your first and last name and I will use it as a source IN MY SPEECH but you dont have to. Cuz I need 2 sources. This isnt just f-body's, it's domestics in general. I hope this is clear, I just woke up, so the mind isnt really functioning yet.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom[I]
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Well domestic vehicle parts in general are cheaper than foreign and they are a lot more available.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

You need a specific statement, a central idea and main point. Don't forget about sub and sub sub points! I had com103 last semester ;P
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

As far as domestic vs. import concerns the economy... it really isn't the big deal it used to be.

Most Accords and Camry's on the roads today are in fact American made.

The resale value of imports is generally higher (due largely to the public's misconceptions), which is because there is a larger market for used imports. When vehicles are sold used, it takes away from the new car market... this probably has a bigger effect on the economy and new job creation than people simply buying a new import vs. new domestic.

-Jay Manojlovich
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

actually, as far as I know, there isn't an advantage to domestic cars over imports. Imports are extremely nice, and crush domestics in every aspect I can think of.

Of course, the big exception to that is all the Muscle Cars and our F-bodies which haul major bootay. The fact that they have the potential to haul even more bootay is a major plus
          my car:
          '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
          check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

I had a similar speech a couple of semesters ago. I would suggest first drawing on personal experience on the subject. Perhaps you have owned an import before your t/a. State what you like about your t/a more than whatever import you owned. This should help make you sound more credible to your audience. Then for sources i would look for stats from automakers about comparable domestics vs. imports. (maxima vs gtp for example) Then look at facts and concentrate on why the domestic is the better car. Only concentrate on factual evidence that supports domestics over imports since this is persuasive and not instructional or some other unbiased speech. Maybe even find an article from some auto mag (motortrend for example) that compares a random domestic auto to a foreign one and rates the domestic better overall. In fact i think there is one comparing the focus svt to a host of other imports that gives the ford the nod. (not that i do hehe) Hope some of this can help.Oh yea and consider your audience. It is just your class right? If you think that they are concerned w/ performance or maybe the economic impact of domestic vs import, ect, concentrate on the one that appeals the most to them.
            98 z-71 silverado white
            93 trans am, green, a4, 96 trans am motor swap in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              Well domestic vehicle parts in general are cheaper than foreign and they are a lot more available.
              Focus on costs of ownership like repair facilities, parts, etc. For instance, a Chevy's parts are extremely easy to buy, and you can get them everywhere along with numerous non-dealer service centers. There are a couple of members of this board who have their f-body in a foreign country...you see how difficult it is for them to buy parts or upgrade. Now, of course, this is changing due to a global economy, the production of foreign makes on US soil, SEMA, after market parts, etc. The economy is just as tied to domestic as import. However, you would be better off looking at makes that are in fact imported not produced in the U.S. like somebody else mentioned, Camerys and Accords are built in the states...make these distinctions. Your operating and repair costs will definitely go up on (imported) vehicle parts and maintenance, but this argument is becoming less valid as time goes on.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
              X