ram air?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ram air?!?

hey tell me what you guys think about this.............

http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/ramair/ramair.htm

i mean how much can that really do..

is there a way to make it so that the plastic honey combs move with the throttle.. they flap open and let in more air??!

Comment

I'm guessing you would just waste your time with that mod. You'd be better off getting the real ram air setup or the cold air induction.
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Doesn't look near wide enough. There have been lots of attempts at homemade ram-air setups and some work and some don't.

This one wouldn't do much.

Comment

I saw that one when I was gathering info before buying my T/A.

Looking at it now I would say it may give you a little improvement depending on what kind of intake / air filter setup you have.

You will also collect tons of debris that is floating around on the street. Would you want any of this s... heading towards your air filter and possibly puncture it?

Cutting your air dam isn't so good either since it reduces the flow of cooling air to the engine and probably has some negative aerodynamic effects as well.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

You may actually be surprised just exactly how well that works. That is the redneck, LT1 version of what Fast Toys did with the Ram Air for the LS1. Actually, to be honest, the LT1 "scoop ram air" has been around since 94 that I know of, lots of Impala guys on the boards had that rig on their car since nobody made an intake for it yet (man I just dated myself).

All it does is open up the bottom of your car and let cold air in. It stays amazingly clean from what I've heard, and does actually work. The air dam that you cut is not forcing air into the radiator area, it is forcing air around to the wheels and away from the underside of the car. So cutting it in that position is not going to affect airflow around the car, except into the intake, which is what you want.

You think that's bad, look at the FTRA. It is arguably the best intake you can put on an LS1, but it blocks probably 10-15% of the airflow getting to the radiator. I know people with WS6 cars that have it, because it is that good of an intake. But you will experience higher engine temps and longer fan-run time due to the restricted airflow.

The bottom line- for a DIY intake, it's probably the best option. It uses the coldest air it can get, and it has somewhat of a ram effect, even though that is not it's intended purpose. Most of us know that a true cold air intake system such as Ram Air will be better, but considering coverting your car could cost as much as $1000, some people have to look at more cost effective means. And this is a pretty good option.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

You would be surprised how much this mod would help!!! Especially when coupled with a CAI unit.

I did this one myself, about it is twice as wide and 1/4" narrower in profile than the one you posted though, mine's painted black so it can't be seen easily.

I wish I could remember the website, but I remember reading that the STOCK LT1 requires 3 times the amount of cubic air than the OEM box provides...add a few bolt-ons and you just get worse, in short your simply starving your motor of fresh air intake.

Of course the downside to this is water, yes you would have to pretty much drive through a 6" puddle of standing water to have any problems, but you can install a bypass valve which would allow the water to leak out before it reached the intake.

I'm not sure how much vacuum is created through the air elbow, but I seriously doubt its enough to suck water into the motor...but better safe than sorry. Or just avoid those DEEP puddles! LOL, I don't drive mine daily anymore and it will probably never see rain again...so it was a no brainer for me.

I can try to take some pics if you want to see them.

KnightFire
              1993 Formula Firebird
              Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

It should do a decent job of getting cool air into the filter area.

Comment

Just don't drive through any deep puddles.
                  Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Originally posted by Fastbird93
                    Just don't drive through any deep puddles.
                    hahaha!

Comment

Working...
                    X