Cam Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Question

In you guy's opinion, what is the best cam for a stock motor. I like a light lope, but I'm not sure how the stock heads will like it if I stick a moderate cam in. I was thinking a LT4 hot cam. Car has a 2800 stall and 3.42 gears, so I'm not too terribly concerned about raising the powerband up a bit.

Actually the LT4Hotcam is a GREAT choice for a OEM motor, I would highly suggest getting the LT4HotCam Kit...which includes all the necessary goodies...you might also want to do some port matching on the intake while you have it off, it did wonders for my car.

I would also think about re-gearing to 3.73:1 gears...

I had this setup and it did quite well...had a nice aggressive sound to it, but wasn't as overbearing as my current one is.

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

The hotcam is a great budget kit. Makes good power too.

Personally, I'm partial to the Comp XE 218/224 cam, .528/.536 lift with a 1.6 rocker, 114 LSA. This cam is proven to work VERY well with stock heads, as the couple of dyno sheets I've seen have put down mid 340's on power and torque corrected.

Another good one is the crane 210/224 cam. I don't know the specs off hand, but this one is a torque monster on stock heads.

There's a verifiable plethora of options out there. Do some searching, see what's been working for others, and decide what you want. Do you want low end grunt or up high power?? Then, make an educated descision.
      Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

I know my definition of "streetable is not the same as everyone elses",

but you could at least go with a cam in the 220 duration range with a good sounding lope and very minimal if any cam surge. And not to mention alot more hp!

Comment

Working...
        X