No announcement yet.

ok so i know i messed up but now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok so i know i messed up but now what?

i sprayed my LT-1 off with water and it wouldnt start, all of the cranking burned out the starter, so i let it set for a day and put ina new starter. it started right up and i pulled it in the garage and shut it off. now it wont start. ??? when it cranks it cranks smoothly for a while then it will fire like one cylinder, and then it cranks rough. i stopped there not wanting to burn out another starter. would water in the opti do this? it feels like a car with the distributor 180* out.

thanks in advance
    Jeff

(ps the engine looks great )
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Re: ok so i know i messed up but now what?

Originally posted by azkkn
    i would water in the opti do this?

YEP!

You could always try the heat gun/hair dryer trick...

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I'm going to throw something into the ring.......

Back when the opti went on my vette, it was because the opti got wet. After the same scenerio you describe, I finally had the car towed back to the dealer as it was under warranty. Here's the part that I hope isn't relevant. The extended cranking literally had fuel collecting in the exhaust. When I did get the motor running after the initail no start, it ran just like what you describe. The cats melted and were seriously restricting the exhaust. So I hope you didn't run it long enough to have damaged the cats.

Comment

i think its the opti, it feels like a cross fire scenario. the car ran just barely long enough to roll into the garage from just out side the door, then it was shut off
        2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
        1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
        past rides:
        1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
        2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
        1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
        2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
        2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
        1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
        1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
        1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

I met a Corvette owner guy in the GM local dealer shop a few years ago. We're changing the engine oil in our cars. There was a LT1 engine in this Corvette protected by a "water and dust proof" barnish-like stuff. He applied that to the engine because the "water-in-the-opti" issue too. He had uninstalled the opti, took it to pieces,"shot" it with the heat gun/hair dryer and then applied UB40 all over the opti internals, cleaned the excess and joined all the parts again, reinstalled and worked great till that momment I met him. Did he was show off ? is it that possible?
          well i want it to share...
          Take care
          Doc
          97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            I'm going to throw something into the ring.......

Back when the opti went on my vette, it was because the opti got wet. After the same scenerio you describe, I finally had the car towed back to the dealer as it was under warranty. Here's the part that I hope isn't relevant. The extended cranking literally had fuel collecting in the exhaust. When I did get the motor running after the initail no start, it ran just like what you describe. The cats melted and were seriously restricting the exhaust. So I hope you didn't run it long enough to have damaged the cats.

My friend started the underside of his car on fire with a technique similar to this one.... goddamn ford cats anyway.

the fire department took a fire hose to his engine compartment and let it run for 5+ minutes...

Comment

Working...
            X