NFB this is what we need in Iraq

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briantech98
    .... I don't doubt that someday we could possibly build robots that move like that one did.... but the whole idea of robots taking control of themselves and suddenly becoming concious, well, thats just not going to happen......
    That's what the general population told the Wright Brothers when they said they could build a machine that could fly!

Without exception, anything is possible!

AI is in development and will succeed one day..... trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      That's what the general population told the Wright Brothers when they said they could build a machine that could fly!

Without exception, anything is possible!

AI is in development and will succeed one day..... trust me.
      Ah, but in the wright brother's day, they could see other things flying. birds, insects, what have you. they knew it was possible, and just had to figure out how birds did it. of course it ended up being much more complicated than just flapping two wings.

Similarly, I dont think we have the capability to make electricity and wires and circuits suddenly have conciousness. we might get it to be able to simulate it pretty well...

Comment

Aside from our inherant meta-physical characteristics, we are but a system of electrical and chemical energy exchanges. I feel that is very feasible.

Granted there is still a bunch that we cannot understand regarding our brain and central nervous system, but surgeons and scientists are learning at an exponential rate.

Comment

Originally posted by briantech98
          While that video was very cool, scenarios in which a robot can become "self aware" are so science fiction that it really does need to stay in the movies.

Anyone with a background in programming or computer science understands just how unfathomable it is for a computer to become "aware". AI developments, while becoming quite sophisticated, are still only capable of mimicking humans. I don't doubt that someday we could possibly build robots that move like that one did.... but the whole idea of robots taking control of themselves and suddenly becoming concious, well, thats just not going to happen. We don't even have a basic understanding of what our own conciousness is... we've mapped the nueral networks of our brains, we understand how neurons communicate with each other, we understand most of the input/output mechanisms of our brain... but once it gets to that barrier between flesh and mind, we really have no clue. And if WE don't know how it works, then there's no way we can ever program a computer to do it as well.
          While I basically agree with you here, however, if not programmed correctly, there can be horrible results. Sure AI programming is basically a mimic to the programmer.
          However...
          an expert system combined with a genetic algorithm is crucial to a "smarter" AI program. Say a sensor in a robot is used to input physical shapes, i.e. a gun. When it "sees" a gun being used to wound or kill a human, it is able to assess a threat level because a human dying at the hands of another human is programmed to be a threat. Thus, the world knowledge in the expert system has a new object (or statement in memory depending if LISP, Java, etc. is used)...that a gun AND firing can be harmful. Then, say, the AI program is programmed to eliminate all potential threats....anyone with a gun. Thus, police officers with guns will all be eliminated. If the police fight back, then it assesses all humans as a threat. Although this is far-fetched and is a result of lousy programming, it is still possible, and more complicated scenarios similar to the former could occur...and would be detrimental to all. I guess all I'm saying here is that the power of artificial learning shouldn't be underestimated...as a complicated bug or glitch can mimic a "self-awareness/taking over" scenario. But again, we are still at the early stages of AI...so there is much more to be developed.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
          X