No announcement yet.

Proof of gearing effects at the track.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of gearing effects at the track.

I took the purple car out last night to Atco.

Setup: Street tires, 95 T-56, 3.23 rear end ratio. Hotcam, ported heads, exhaust, 340/366 SAE at the wheels.

First run was a 13.16@106.9 witha 2.12 short time, crossing the traps bumping off the rev limiter at about 6200 in third gear.

So, out comes the handy dandy credit card, up goes the MSD rev limiter to 6400, and the next run, I launch harder.

12.988@107.98 with a 2.045 short time, crossed the traps at a solid moving 6200 RPM in third.

I also pulled a 13.034 and 13.001. The car wants to hook better, but the F1's aren't too sticky, and the track prep was marginal.

Methinks some 3.73's are going to wake this thing up big time. That, and my missing HP from the lean tune. Should be easy mid 12's at 110-112.
    Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

You are bouncing off the rev limiter with a 3.23 gear??? In third gear or 4th??
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Edited.

Third gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastbird93
        Edited.

Third gear.
        the hot cam comes on in power late... thats why i went with 4:10's in my compTA m6. 3:23's with your set up is really holding you back.

you will have to perfect a new launch technique after the install though.......LOL

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Consider 4.10s unless you plan on a power adder like nitrous or supercharger, then 3.73s would be the ticket.

Comment

I had thought about 4.10's but here's the catch.

This car isn't all about accelerating down the 1/4. My fiancee drives this car most of the time. She's rather new to driving a manual (although she's getting pretty good and should be making passes later this year), and she could tear the tires loose a little too easily with 4.10's.

Also, this car isn't my track car. That's my black one. This one is for some track testing every now and then, and for cruising and short trips otherwise. Need to keep it mildly sane on the freeway.

As for a new launch technique, give me one trip to the track and I should be good to go.

Comment

Anything over a 3.73 in an A4 is gonna be pretty uncomfortable to drive. In my opinion, I wouldn't go anything lower than a 3.42, unless its a stick. My 95 A4 has 3.73's in it and I regret going that low.
              95 Trans am-3.73 posi, 1.6 rollers, cold air induc. flowmaster, no cat.'s, power programmer w/ 160 degree stat, torque arm, bbk underdrive pulley, 52mm throttle body.

Comment

It's a stick, and the 4.10's would probably do very well at the track, but the 3.73's are going to be more driver friendly.

I wouldn't go with 4.10's in an Auto either. 3.73's max.

Comment

3.90's would be right in the middle!

Comment

Working...
                  X