gas vapor coming out of gas cap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas vapor coming out of gas cap

After running the car about 10 mins there was a whistle noise coming from the gas gas. When I unloosen it a rush hot gas vapor was relived. what causes this and how to fix? A friend to that maybe theres a block in the return line.

Jay

if it is a newer f-body, you have to click the gas cap 3 times to get the pressure correct. I don't know why they do this but they do. The gas vapor is just built up pressure needing somewere to go. I would try turning the gas cap untill it clicks only 3 times. If that doesn't help I would bet you need a new gas cap.

Comment

its a 88 firebird.

Comment

I buy a new gas cap but if that don't do it what else could I try?

Comment

there is a vent tube somewhere IIRC, and that might be clogged. Otherwise, it might just be a cap going bad on ya.
          my car:
          '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
          check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

this vent tube do you know how I could test it ?
            If I drill a small hole in the filler neck to relive the presure would that mess with the emission test?

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by aj4
              its a 88 firebird.

I thought it was normal...had a 92 GTA...gas cap said "remove slowly, vapors may rush out" or something like that. I think it's perfectly normal...never had a problem...my 3.1 did that too.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I car stated to sound like it was'nt get fuel so I turn it off that when I heard the hisssssing sound for the gas cap I open it and it stuck a lot of air in side the tank. Then the car ran fine. This is the first time in 4 year having the car that this has doe that.

Jay

Comment

sorry about the english I didn't double check my wording.

Comment

Originally posted by aj4
                    I car stated to sound like it was'nt get fuel so I turn it off that when I heard the hisssssing sound for the gas cap I open it and it stuck a lot of air in side the tank. Then the car ran fine. This is the first time in 4 year having the car that this has doe that.

Jay
                    Oh...air is being sucked in...not rushed out. I see....

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

sorry if I expained it wrong.
                      it like a pop bottle with only one opening when you are drinking it you need to let air back in the bottle replace what you drink.

Jay

Comment

Is it normal to have a strong fuel odor when the gas tank is full? Cause I filled mine up yester day and with the warmer temps, it smells pretty bad.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                        2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Working...
                        X