General Questions new F-Body Owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Questions new F-Body Owner

Hey everyone, just got an '00 TA without the Ram Air. I've found a lot of good info on mods I can do to the car and have got a lot of them planned out, but some of the more creature-comfort mods I haven't been able to find info on, so any direction to where I can find info on them would be appreciated.

1) Remote start kit
    Never had one of these, but I want to look into installing one. Not really that high a priority, just happened to start off this list.

2) Automatic windows?
    I'd really like to find a way to have the windows roll down when I unlock the car. I'm a tall guy, and especially when I park in a tight spot it's hard for me to get in the car with the windows up.

#2 is really important to me. Oh yeah, does anyone have any tips on squeaky brakes? I had someone check the brakes and they checked out fine, but the noise really annoys me.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome!

1 - Remote start - never had one in my bird, but I put one in my wife's GP. It took about 4 hours to install and worked great! Very nice for cold mornings or hot days. The only small issue is the VATS system. The small "chip" in your ignition key. You have to wire a resistor in that matches the resistance on your key to fool the computer into thinking the key is in the ignition - but thats pretty easy. Go to radio shack for the resistor. Yours is an auto right?

2. Never done this before. I know they make remote switches for fog lights and stuff, so I would think you could wire one of this inline with the window switch.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

1. Remote start-- DEI is a good company to look at, they are the parent company of Viper and Sidewinder and Avital, all of which are the same system with different names.

2. Remote windows -- this is a $75 add-on module that is available for all of the above systems so long as they are advanced enough to have the capability to use it (different programmable keypad combinations etc)
      Install on these is much more difficult, I am a strong believer in having a shop do security installs, mostly because the guys that do them at the shop have done dozens if not hundreds of them and know how to get the details down pat. Trying it DIY, it will probably be your first or second time-- and if something goes wrong, you have nobody to turn to, and a shop isn't going to want to look at your mess to try and decipher it.
      FYI the module will probably be $75, the install could be twice that, but they work awesome, I have a friend who had them installed.

as far as squeaky brakes, you could check either your pad material (metallic maybe?) or the surface of your rotors, sometimes this happens with worn yet acceptable rotors grinding against new-ish brake pads... not my area of expertise.

Security systems can also do cool stuff like control lighting, operate actuators, pop doors open, etc etc etc... lots of possibilities

good luck with that

Comment

A good solution for squeaky brakes:

Step one: go to local parts store..Pep boys, auto zone..whatever you have.

Step two: buy ceramic pads for front and back. They will cost a bit more then metal based but its worth it.

Step three: Install pads being careful not to introduce air into the brake system and then break the pads in as reccomended by the manufacterer.

Step four: enjoy your quiet new brakes which are almost dustless!

Comment

Working...
        X