want my car to shift differently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want my car to shift differently

my 94 formula a4 4l60e doesnt seem to shift the same as my brothers 94 ta it doesnt seem to downshift like his and the other f-bodys i have rode on, any ideas?

what does a shift kit do for me?

and what about a hypertech
    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

You will love getting a shift kit. I got a B&M and love it. The most perfect fastest shifts ever. I really dont think that anyone could manually shift as fast as my tranny. I get a chirp into second at anything over 1/2 throttle and can lay a small patch into third. The down shifts are perfectly seamless. I have read that the Hpertech shift improvements are very hard on your tranny and can reduce the life very significantly. But others can jump in and explain it alot better than I could. I highly recommend everyone with a auto to get a shift kit.
    97 SS #C007
    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

I recommend TransGo shift kits, set at level 3 and a trans-cooler nothing less than 24000GVW. The thing I love the most about these is that the trannie will hold ANY RPM in ANY gear, until I choose to shift. I'm not sure if it works this way in a 4L60E, but its definately worth having...especially at the track! I ALWAYS net much higher ETs when I shift manually...usually .2-.3 higher, like I said I don't know if the 4L60E reacts the same way.

KnightFire
      1993 Formula Firebird
      Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

so guys with B & M shift kits , which one do you have and what deos it do
        1994 firebird formula

Comment

I went with the B&M shift kit. And I went straight with the stage 2. It is a very quick shift and sometimes at low rpm/speed it will shift pretty violently(I love it). But once your used to it, you will learn where it shifts and how hard. The down shifts on the highway are a thing of awe. Just floor it and it will drop 2 gears and your off to the races.
          I am not exactly sure how it actually works but others can fill in where I left off.
          97 SS #C007
          SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

wut about downshifting around 40 miles and hour, how many gears does it drop
            1994 firebird formula

Comment

Manually downshifting or just letting the tranny do the work???
              You really shouldnt manually shift your gears especially downshifting. A buddy of mine burned his tranny by 80k miles by shifting. Luckily he sold it just before it was done.
              97 SS #C007

Comment

Go with the transgo.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSS
                  A buddy of mine burned his tranny by 80k miles by shifting. Luckily he sold it just before it was done.
                  Hmmm 80k miles is actually pretty respectable for a trannie, especially if he raced at all!!! I got about 82k miles out of my OEM trannie and thats with a LOT of racing...and when I had it re-built 3rd gear was only beginning to slip a little...thats it.

I've always manually down shifted into 3rd gear when passing on the hwy or the like. I've always manually up-shifted the car at the track and have MUCH better ETs doing so...like I said before in other posts, I'm not sure about the 4L60E...perhaps it doesn't re-act as well as a 700R4 in those regards.

Can anyone speak definitively on the differences? I'm pretty curious myself...

KnightFire
                  1993 Formula Firebird
                  Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

With the 4L60E trans you can downshift form overdrive as many times as you want because it's in the torque converter that you recieve overdrive. Downshift from 3rd to 2nd is hard as well as 2nd to 1st is. When your at the track and you manually shift up that isn't as bad on the trans but any hard driving on a trans is going to lower the life of it

For the Power Programmer- the programmer only pushes the line pressure up to max psi all the time.It will lower the life but just the same as a shift kit

Go with the Transgo kit
                    I LOVE COBRA'S -
                    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Originally posted by KnightFire
                      Hmmm 80k miles is actually pretty respectable for a trannie, especially if he raced at all!!! I got about 82k miles out of my OEM trannie and thats with a LOT of racing...and when I had it re-built 3rd gear was only beginning to slip a little...thats it.
                      Well it was just driving out and about. He never took it to the track or an auto x. It was just his daily driver. He did abuse it and manually shifted not alot but enough to do damage.
                      97 SS #C007

Comment

Working...
                      X