This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont wanna abuse my car..

im just wondering what kinda abuse this car can take, my friend pointed it out to me that im usualy flooring it on sidestreets and highways nonstop and i just realized that hes right.
    everyone knows burnout out will kill your tires but what else does it affect???
    and also hot rodding around town turns my mpg into poop but what im curious about is how much abuse can my head gasket take??
    i love my car and i dont wanna do anything over and over thats harmful to it.
    thanks in advance

Holy crap dude... you are 17 and just got your license... take it easy on YOURSELF, and forget about the car for now.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

but i love my baby and i dont wanna hurt her
      but woooow shes so much fun im 9-0 in races
      my friends mustang 2 5.0s 3 civics 2 integras and a maxima ( yea yea yea i know i just wanted to show em some american muscle )

Comment

To answer your question, the car can take a lot of abuse.

As a side note, the human body cannot.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

i couldn't help myself a stupid civic starts revin at me at a light
          i have no willpower at all

Comment

Agreed...
            Your car is meant to go fast, but not all the time. Things will start to break if you constantly floor it. If you have an auto, say goodbye to your torque converter and transmission if burnouts are constant. For M6s, it is hard on the whole drivetrain as well. For both, the stock rear end is not meant to take constant burnouts.
            Please, please don't get into too much trouble. I know you've heard this lecture before. However, as Jay pointed out...you just got your license...I'm not saying you're a bad driver, but experience is a huge key in driving...especially when you're driving a high powered car. I floor mine once in a blue moon. Actually, if I remember correctly, the last time I floored her in 5 months was at the dyno the other day!
            Just remember, it isn't worth racing other cars on the street. Consider this...if a Civic wants to race you and you back off, he *might* tend to drive less wrecklessly and possibly not kill an innocent bystander. Cops don't treat street racing too kindly, either. Just be safe man.
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by TrAnS Am 98
              im 9-0 in races
              Probably because you only race the cars you know you can beat. I mean yea your car is quick for a stock car but it isn't that fast. I don't know, maybe I'm just acting like a [EDIT] but I have some friends who will only race cars they know they can beat, then they brag because their record on the street is like 5-0 and 7-0. I tell them, yea why dont you try racing that Aston Martin that just passed you, or how about you race that suped up SS that just threw a revv at you......(no reply from them) lol.

Comment

Hey "TrAnS Am 98" no offense but you need to respect a performance car a little more than you do. I'm not saying this to flame you but to save your life. I know when people are young they think they are invincible but let me tell you they are not.

When I was in high school there was a guy with a 1980 WS6 TA jut like Smokey and the Bandit. He pushed it a little too hard and didn't make the turn on Buford Damn road on the south end of Lake Lanier. He was clipping pine trees off at 100 foot. The passenger went out the back window. You may have heard about it because it caused a law suit against GM because the seat belt let go. A bunch of people painted a cross in his parking space at school. Both were DRT. Dead Right There.

I knew this other kid who got a 1986 Trans Am and about a month after he got it he wrapped it around a tree. All he was doing was turning left. He turned, punched it and the posi made him loose it.

I know this guy who bought a 72 Nova with a built 350 in it. He wrapped it around a tree and almost killed his passenger. The passenger now has a permanent limp. He walked away unscratched.

I know you think that you are better than these guys but they thought the same thing. If you are really smart, you'll go out and get a hybrid car and save the TA until you have at least 5 years of experience. You keep going the way you are going and you will end up DRT too. You have a long life to live ahead of you but if you don't change your ways, it's not going to be very long. I don't mean this as a flame but you need to learn self control before you get behind the wheel of a car. Especially a performance car. Georgia is thinking about raising the driving age because too many kids here are getting killed at 16 and 17 because they are really not mature enough to be driving. Unfortunately it isn't all and the kids who are will suffer but the ones that are not are a danger to everyone else.

Here is an idea for you though. See if there are any driving schools you can take at the race tracks. You are in Long Island, go up to Watkins Glen and take a 3 day driving coarse. It will get you some high performance driving skills. I would like to take it at Road Atlanta but it is like $1500 and that would buy a lot of neat parts.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

There is a HUGE difference in a little spirited driving from time to time and just beating on your car.

You have a high performance vehicle! Play with it, enjoy it, but most of all RESPECT IT! The instant you lose respect for these machines, you WILL be wrapped around a tree and/or hurt your car, yourself, or even worse you could hurt other people.

KnightFire
                  1993 Formula Firebird
                  Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I know the last thing that you want is another post saying that you need to chill... But I feel as if I have some advice that may help you. I am 21 I have had my license for about 4-5 Years. I have learned SOOO MUCH in the past 4-5 years about my driving. When I was 17 and got my license, I was much like you. I had no self control when it came to the throttle. Luckily, I am still here, but that is a BIG Luckily. I have had more than my share of accidents and close calls. Even thought I am still here, that doesnt mean that I didnt recieve any consiquences from how I behaved when I was younger. Not even including the cost of auto repairs, I pay an UNGODLY amount of money to the DMV every month just to keep my license. And I am currently paying $3,200 a year for just LIABILITY on my 1993 CAVALIER!!!!! There isnt a day that goes by without me wanting to go back into time and give myself a big kick in the ass to make me drive better. However, I wonder if I would have even listened to myself at that time? I hope that you accept advise better than I did at that age, and calm down your driving. Even if you somehow live through it, I doubt that your wallet can handle it.
                    No F-Body right now

Comment

My first car was a 92 3.1 Firebird...slow as crap, but still got tickets. Matter of fact, one week after I got my car, I was making a turn too hot; lost it and nicked a sign...I'm glad my folks made me drive a slow car for two years before I got my hands on the GTA...it made me a better driver.

RESPECT YOUR CAR...keep driving it hard...you'll be hurt, I promise you...that or you'll end up driving your car into the dirt.

Relax your foot...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Well, I don't know guys, maybe its because I'm young (18) just like the thread starter who is 17...but needing 4-5 years driving experience BEFORE you can drive the Trans Am seems a bit excessive. I got my license at 16, got my first car a few months after I turned 17, it's a 1970 Formula 400 Firebird, I love it!

Haven't been in an accident. I respect what it can do, although I have raced before, on the street...

I do realize that these cars are fast and you need to respect them, but its not like you are riding a liter bike (1300 Hayabusa, Suzuki GSX-R1000) <<<those are super fast, I mean REALLY fast...the Busa does a 9 second flat in the 1/4, bone stock. I have my motorcycle license too, and you REALLY need to respect the sport bikes or else you will end up dumping them.

Cars are a bit different, I'm just rambling now. I think "Trans Am 98" does need to respect his car, I think he does, and just make sure you are careful. As far as the 4-5 years experience...I don't think you need to go that far just to drive your car, although those years would really give you more experience so it would make you a better driver.

Just be safe.

-Dan-

Comment

It's just that he got his license 2 or 3 days ago, and already claims to be 9-0 in races that has me concerned...

Of course I have raced on the streets before myself -- everyone has, so I don't want to preach. I am relatively young as well -- almost 22 years old.

I just don't want to see another young muscle car driver end up wrapped around a tree...

Comment

By the way TransAm98... if you ever come my way, you will be 9-1 in races...

MUHAHAHAHA...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                              By the way TransAm98... if you ever come my way, you will be 9-1 in races...

MUHAHAHAHA...
                              lol

Comment

Working...
                              X