Battery dead?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery dead?

I took my car out of storage this past weekend. The battery was removed and placed on a trickle charger while out of vehicle. One of the cells was a little low on water, so I added some distilled water. When I tried to start, it just clicked. Hooked it up to a charger for an hour, same result. Finally got it started by jump starting from other car, and ran it for two hours. Car ran great, but same clicking noise after running it for two hours. Battery is four years old. How can I tell if it's toast? Can you measure the output with a volt meter to see if it won't hold a charge?

Thanks!

You can purchase a load tester...that will tell you if you need to replace the battery. 4 years is pretty respectable for your average battery life span though...

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Thanks. Any recommendations for a new battery? The original Delco went out after 3 years, and this Interstate lasted 4 years. I'll probably hit the Autozone tonight.

Comment

I really like Optima batteries...depending on your load requirements I would get a yellow or red top. Personally I have a red top, but with a large stereo and N2O, I would go with a yellow top if I have to buy another one.

KnightFire
        1993 Formula Firebird
        Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I would take your battery to AutoZone and have them do a load test to see if it is bad (sounds like it is). It's possible to read the correct voltage and still have a bad battery.
          '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

"Battery dead?"

Battery IS dead...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... you have to watch the Simpson's to pick up on that one (Linguo). I crack myself up, lol...
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Working...
            X