Tranny problems... help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny problems... help

So I went today to LeeMyles to get my tranny fluid changed. The guy gets in and shifts my gears and tells me he doesnt like Reverese, theres a delay on it. He tests drives it, and he says he doesnt like the 1-2 and 4 shift. He takes the dipstick out and says the oil is burned, so fnally drops the pan, the smell was awful, he shows me the pan and the magnet part, silver thing residue paste like. He says I shouldnt drive, tear it down and inspect and rebuild. Is he right? please help
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Oh yeah, As far as I know the tranny is stock at 121k, I bought the bird last year t,he guy told me he repalced the tranny pump, that it went out on him while driving on a highway. THe guy at LeeMyles said that that tranny is still the 700r4.
    1993 TA SOLD

Comment

Its not gonna cost you anymore $$ to rebuild it now or when it finally goes and burns the clutches completely. I suppose it would depend on how bad its slipping. If its just a little delay in reverse, I would change the tranny fluid and add some "lubeguard" additive and wait and see. The worst thats gonna happen is that it goes and you have to rebuild it.....you might as well wait.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Thanks for the tip N20LT4Bird. Which additive would you recommend?
        1993 TA SOLD

Comment

"Lubeguard" is the BEST. You can get it at Napa.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Thanks!
            1993 TA SOLD

Comment

how much does a rebuild cost?
              1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

Mine costed $1800 including a somewhat higher stall torque converter (2200 to 2400 RPM). Also included a good shift kit.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Mine was about $1400 with some upgraded parts. A hardened sun shell, stronger 23 element low sprag, better clutches, higher capacity servo, etc. At least that was on a 4l60E, basically a computer controlled 700r4.

Comment

1400 is a good price if that included the R&R. 1800 isnt bad if you got some upgrades and a shift kit. I would expect anywhere between 1400 and 2000 depending on what they do to it. I would upgrade it with a shift kit (that boosts line pressure) and extra 3-4 clutches, even if its not raced at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X