Just exploring my options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just exploring my options

I LOVE Cars and Motorcycles...it's not just the riding aspect, I love the whole damn thing...just everything about motorcycles and, cars specifically. I was wondering, what kind of careers are there in the automotive industry?

I know there is the general stuff like, being a mechanic at a shop, or working at a body shop and stuff like that...but what else is there, is there anything like an automotive designer? I dont know...

I'm addicted to that show "American Chopper" I just love everything about that, how they do custom work like that. I also love watching, Car and Driver, and Horsepower TV, I would love to get into anything that would be custom or performance work on cars or motorcycles, or any designing aspects. Anyone know any careers like that? Or any schools that offer that type of training?

I've heard of UEI...but I don't know much else about them, except that they have courses for motorcycles and also nascar and stuff.

-Dan-

There is another school...wyoming tech I think? Do a google search on automotive specialty schools. There are jobs in design as well as many custom shops. I think a major thing is to get the right education and to network. Go to shows like SEMA stand in line and meet people like Chip Foose. Shake their hand show them your work etc. Depending on what you want to do it can be a very challenging field to get into. there are a lot less designers then mechanics and probably only a few more custom shop positions then designers. If it were me I would look up all the well known shops in Cali and Florida and i would spend the coin to give them a call. Talk to the managers....ask them what they see as being a needed skill set. That is of course if you want to go that route. I'm to old to change now but I wish i had known about this stuff when I was graduating high school. My guidance counsellor sucked!

Comment

There should definetely be some schools in your area that teachs Automotive Technology. There are also all kinds of different classes and certificates you can get. Nascar programs, drag racing programs, circle track programs, hot rod programs, etc. There are tons of different jobs in the automotive industry, too. Designers, technicians, etc.

There are a lot of schools around, too. UTI (Universal Technical Institute), Wyotech (Wyoming Tech), MMI (Motorcycle Marine Institute). They have multiple campuses all around the country. Just do some searching and you will find all kinds of info.

I was in the same situation you were about a year ago. I wanted to go to UTI, but they are expensive. I ended up going to Greenville Technical College. It's the local technical college in upstate S.C. but they have a pretty good automotive program. I am in the process of getting my ASTP degree or certificate (Automotive Service Training Program).
      1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
      Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
      Trans: TH700R4
      Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
      X