is my A/C going bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my A/C going bad?

I wanted to quicly ask...for anyone who's A/C went out (for any reason), what symptoms occurred? My AC is making a loud whinning/whisling noise everytime I turn it on. As soon as I shut it off (just leave vents on), the sound stops. The AC still blows out pretty cool air, but the outside temps haven't gotten past 75*, so I'm unable to test the true cooling capabilities yet. I will post a sound clip on the crazy noise it makes soon. Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

I also notice the sound now when I start the car.

Here is a clip of the squealing.
    http://s94938520.onlinehome.us/movies/squealing.mp3

I just replaced the alternator with a Powermaster. I do not see anything rubbing on the belt. I don't know what this is?? It's waaaay too loud for me to diagnose with a stethescope.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Nevermind...found and fixed the problem.

After Steve93Z and I were playing midnight mechanic, we found the belt to be stretched and slipping under load. We put a spare belt on and the noise magically disappeared. The funny thing is that this occurred right when the new alternator was installed, and only happened when the AC was turned on...so I thought it was a much worse problem.

Comment

glad to know it was an easy fix...it's always a relief when it's an easy fix.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Excellent! I was worried that your A/C compressor pump pulley was about to freeze up on ya...had it happen to me a few years ago, NOT fun!!!

KnightFire
          1993 Formula Firebird
          Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Working...
          X