NFB: 2005.5 Z06 - 427ci, 575HP??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: 2005.5 Z06 - 427ci, 575HP??

The latest issue (July 2004) of GM High-Tech Performance magazine arrived yesterday, and had a lot of "predictions" on future GM products. Knowing that they have been incredibly WRONG in the past, it was interesting to note that they were predicting a ~400HP LS6 GTO for 2005, and that the 2005.5 Corvette Z06 would sport a 7 liter (427ci) engine, with 24-valve heads, producing ~575HP.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Re: NFB: 2005.5 Z06 - 427ci, 575HP??

Originally posted by Injuneer
    The latest issue (July 2004) of GM High-Tech Performance magazine arrived yesterday, and had a lot of "predictions" on future GM products. Knowing that they have been incredibly WRONG in the past, it was interesting to note that they were predicting a ~400HP LS6 GTO for 2005, and that the 2005.5 Corvette Z06 would sport a 7 liter (427ci) engine, with 24-valve heads, producing ~575HP.
    thats crazy. are they basing these predictions on anything factual at all, or is it just wishful editors trippin'?

Comment

hey fred......................

maybe by the end of 2005 ill be ready for another toy........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Everything I have read has indicated that GM is not going to make the new Z06 a "warmed over" version of the base C6. It is supposed to be a major "upgrade" compared to the base engine.

Rumors of a "dual cam" Gen 3 SBC engine have been floated for several years.... and that's not dual overhead camshafts, but two independant cams in the "valley" with pushrods. Couple that with variable cam timing on both intake and exhaust, and variable intake runner length and things could get pretty exotic. Euro and Japanese exotics with 500-900HP are on the drawing boards and prototypes are at the auto shows.

I think GM wants to play hard ball with the Corvette. Maybe the Z05 replaces the C5-R, or is basically a "street' version of the C6-R. If the Viper is good for 500HP off the showroom floor, why can't the Z06 push the envelope a little further.

If GM is already selling the LS6 engine at 400HP in the Cadillac CTS-V, why wouldn't they consider putting it in the GTO? I don't think these ideas are all that irrational.

I don't put a lot of faith in GM High-Tech Performance magazine.... they are notoriously INACCURATE. They published an article indicating the first GTO's sold would only be rated at 250HP, when GM was already publishing advertisements showing 350HP.

My original "plan" was to wait until 2003, and buy a 50th Anniversary Corvette, but the package was so lame I wouldn't have bought it even if I had the $$$. Maybe by the time the 2006 rolls out, I'll be in better financial condition.... or in the old age home
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

DUHC sounds cool.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

they showed that 7 liter vette on t.v . it was on speed vision about a week ago. the guy with the big funky looking mustache and hat(dont know his name)got to ride in it. it did look pretty cool. they said it was a concept car, and that was the exzact same hp they said it produced.
            Miss My Bird

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
              DUHC sounds cool.
              I think it would be:

DIBC

"Dual In-Block Cam"

Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I would have to agree that it would be more than welcomed to see the Z06 play hardball with the Viper!

The vettes have dominated in the handling dept. so why not make it the speed dept. as well.

Any predictions on price?

Comment

I think they are finally past the ZR1 owners ing fowl that they can put out something like this. The last I heard, the new Z06 replacement was going to come out with 485hp. Who knows...until it happens.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

From GM High-Tech:

"...news continues to trickle out about the next extra-performance model for the Corvette. Slated for release in mid 2005 and an '06 model, we know it will be powered by a 427-cubic inch, all aluminum Gen III engine named LS7. We hear words like "three-valve cylinder heads," and "dry sump oiling system" are being thrown around. "Clutchless manual transmission" was also mentioned, but we can't yet confirm any of these rumors surrounding the 427's technical details. Nor can we confirm horsepower rating approaching 575."

Time to start buying lottery tickets.......
                    Fred

Comment

In the same issue (and also in High Performance Pontiac) they have the "worlds fastest LS1". 8.52 @ 160something mph! Pretty sweet......they say he drives it on the street

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Convertible WS6, right?

I think that is the guy in Clio, MI (near Flint -- about 1 hour, 15 mins north of Detroit).

He just opened up a tuner shop I guess... so far I can't say that too many people I have talked to have been very happy with them though...
                        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Spades95formula
                          they showed that 7 liter vette on t.v . it was on speed vision about a week ago. the guy with the big funky looking mustache and hat(dont know his name)got to ride in it. it did look pretty cool. they said it was a concept car, and that was the exzact same hp they said it produced.

The car from the Chevrolet collection with John Moss hosted by Denis Gage?

If that is the same show I saw,he drove a new version of the TIGER SHARK[Weird Yellow] with a small block 427[LS1 style] that pushed 700 HP and could be made to make 850 HP!!!!
                          94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Working...
                          X