nfb: You have to make every moment count

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfb: You have to make every moment count

The last few days have been real rough for me, I haven't been able to help with tech stuff or anything else for that matter.......

A few days ago, mom had a stroke. It's tough to see her in the state that she's in. She is a computer genius that most likely affected someone on this board at one time or another. She wrote JCPenney's operating system. Currently she works at AAA corporate headquarters in Heathrow. If you've taken a trip and used AAA's directions, that's her program. At the moment, she can't use the right side of her body.

When I received the call, it really made me stop and reflect on the 3 hour drive to the hospital. Even though I live 3 hours away, I don't spend enough time with her. She is the last elder family member I have. The ironic thing is that 20 years ago, she went though the exact same scenerio with her mother. I was there at the time and this is like a re-run of the same episode. I mean, if I could have taken a photo of her mom and compared it to my mom today, it is like they are twins.

Times like this make you really appreciate what time you have on this small rock, especially the time spent with family and friends. You guys keep this place rockin' while I take care of business, make sure you tell your family how much you love them today. You never know if there won't be a tomorrow.

You are so right, Joe.

Don't know if you remember, back in Aug. of 1999 my Mother had a stroke. She was 83. Recovery was 50/50. She never made it out of the Hospital but once, that was to go to a nursing home..but she ended up back in the hospital. She passed away in Nov. of 99. It was crushing.

Your Mom sounds like a real strong lady, stay with her...she can fight it and recover most of it back.

My prayers are with yall.

Life is short, for sure. I ll never forget what my Mom said when Mary and I were down there visiting her...it was the last time we saw her: "Don't wait for life son, enjoy it and live it today, and everyday, because suddenly it's over faster than you know it".............

God rest her soul.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with ya.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

So sorry, Joe. I'll be praying that the future improves for your mom and family.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Same here!!!
          94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Prayers go out to you Joe...

I hope she can recover, and I second everything you said in your original post... I lost my dad to cancer when I was 19...
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

very sorry to read about your mother......best wishes and prayers go for her, you and your family
              DWS
              Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

Sorry to hear that man

We're all pullin for you and your mom. Go take care of things, and we'll all be here for ya.

-Paul

p.s. It's always the little things that mean the most at the end of the day. Stuff that gets overlooked or we think is trivial, really isn't. Love, Live, and enjoy every second you can.

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
                95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
                Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Hope your Mom gets well. I will be praying for her!

Be strong because she needs you more now than ever!

If there is anything I can do, just let me know.

Have a nice day. Lee!
                  Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Comment

That is really not good. As fate has it, it can seem cruel and insignificant at the time, but things always work out for the best in the end. It's only up to you how quickly you can accept and adapt.

Best wishes man.

Comment

My prayers are with you! I just went through a few struggles with my 79 year old father. He had knee replacement surgery in December, was diagnosed with kidney cancer the same month, had is kidney out in February, and just went through another surgery on his prostate. Hopefully, it ends soon for him to recover for his next knee replacement. My mom has surgery on her eyes this summer... 'by some weird twist of fate, I ended up back in Denver a few years back...man, I hated being here. 'but, as of late, I am so thankful that I am an hour away from them. I hear ya with make every minute count. I lost my grandmother 10 years ago, and I still regret not spending enough time with her when I had the chance.
                      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Joe,

My prayers are with you. I've appreciated how courteous and helpful you are on this forum. And I'm sure much of your helpfulness, kindness and other positive attributes are reflective of your Mother's nature.

I will pray for your Mom's recovery.

God Bless,
                        Martin
                        '94 TA. A4, MagnaFlow Catback, ZR1 Replica Wheels, Hawk Brake Pads (HPS), 58k miles.

Comment

You guys are tops!

As of last night, she can move around the room with the aid of a walker. She can speak, although labored. She still cannot make use of her right arm. The doctors are amazed at her progress, but all the test and scan results are due this morning. It is amazing how much doctors don't know about this type of condition. All they can say at the moment is that her recovery looks promising. There will be lots of physical therapy, emotional therapy, a perminant change of lifestyle, diet and monitoring for the rest of her life. I've tried for 30 years to get her to quit smoking, and it took this episode to scare her into reality.

Here's the rub...... My father-in-law, was injured on a road construction project a few years back and is on disability. My mom was providing his care, now it looks like other arrangements will be needed. I just don't know how I am going to work this one out. I know I can't do my 60+ hour a week job and do take care of them, so I'll have to hire somebody.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the kind words and support from all you guys here. It's like family.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman

Life is short, for sure. I ll never forget what my Mom said when Mary and I were down there visiting her...it was the last time we saw her: "Don't wait for life son, enjoy it and live it today, and everyday, because suddenly it's over faster than you know it".............

God rest her soul.
                            Ken, scary thing is mom said the same thing to me yesterday. She was already using the walker and she talked me into leaving last night and getting some rest. That's when she litterally made the same quote.

The kicker is that she is 61. I am so glad she realizes this now, she is lucky that the first wave if mini strokes caused my father-in-law to overcome my mom's stubborn streak and get her to the hospital which is where she was when the major stroke hit. I know in my heart that if he hadn't convinced her to go, she would be in far worse shape, maybe she wouldn't have survived.

It surely makes me look at things a little differently. A little less hurried, a little more caring, a kind of a duality where you still view the world with the same eyes, but the picture is a different color.

I thank God, my family and friends. It turns out they are the most important things in life. Without them, it is amazing how everything else breaks down. Yet with them, the world can be a much better experience.

Thanks again, guys. Your kind words are an inspiration.

Comment

good news. Although there was a definate stroke that affected the left side of her brain, her recovery has been dramatic. She can walk and talk with some difficulty, she has some movement in her left hand and the doctors feel she is ready for outpatient therapy. There will be medication and therapy for some time, but the most dangerous parts are behind us. Finally she is going to quit smoking. Not like I haven't been begging her for 30 years to quit. It takes a brush with this to convince her. In any case, prayers have been answered and I'm exhausted.

Comment

Working...
                              X