installing 3.73s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing 3.73s

has anybody every bought the gears with the install kit and installed them theirselves instead of having a shop do it for about $300. How hard was the install and how long do you think i would take to do? How can i tell what kind of gear ratio i have in my car right now? I think they're 3.23s but i'm not positive.
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

I've installed a gear before. It takes some special tools. A depth mic, dial indicator and mag base, and a tube of high spot blue. GMs are a pain because they use shims on the ring gear. Well they all do except a 8 3/4" Chrysler and 9" Ford (that I know of). You have to set the pinion depth with the depth mic. put the gear on the carrier, set the carrier in, measure the backlash, take the carrier out, change the shim, put it back in, check the backlash, high spot blue the gears, look at the pattern, if the front and the back of the tooth is shifter, take all apart, change the shim on the pinion, and start over. It's a PITA and if you don't have the right tools, it isn't going to work out. Get the pinion depth wrong and it will roar. Get the backlash wrong and it will clunk and eventually break a tooth. It's not for the amateur.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

dont do it unless your a pro

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
      Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

You also need a press to get the bearings off/on the pinion.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
          You also need a press to get the bearings off/on the pinion.
          Oh yea. I forgot that.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

If you're going to race, make sure you use a solid pinion sleeve instead of a crush sleeve.
            Kevin Thornton

91 Z28 Black, 6" cowl hood, 468 ci,
            850? Holley, MSD 6AL, TH 350,
            1989 Trans-Am, Ram-Air hood, 5.7
            TPI, 700r4, 3.27 9 bolt, K&N, No
            screens on MAF, Cat delete,
            Flowmaster cat-back, 245x60 15
            frt, 295x50 15 r
            15.109@91 1/4

Comment

Working...
            X