What now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now?

OK so I think I have done all of the bolt ons I can handle (see sig) and I am depressed. I am pretty capable I guess when it comes to my car but I am not sure there are any more projects I can handle. Would love to do some headers and or a cam but think it might be over my head. Are these installs really difficult and do they require a lot of special equipment? Is there anything I have missed as a bolt on power adder or do I need to start tackling suspension components (SFCs and such)?

Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

I have only HEARD from a guy tha has a 4th gen camaro that you have to pull the motor for headers on the new models..but don't quote me on that cause I have only worked on older cars...But despite what everyone will tell you, headers don't make THAT big of a difference untill you start getting into the real big horsepower. you might gain an extra 15 hp if you're lucky.
    If you can go without a car (or that car) for a couple of days maybe think about some gears for the rear...that is the cheapest way to make some low end power, although you won't actually have any more HP. Anyway, that my 2 censts.
    82 camaro x2:
    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

The cam install is a tough install but doable in a weekend with a little know how and trusty ls1howto.com instructions. The header install(Done with the motor still in the vehicle) is not as bad and is definitely a worthwhile mod on your bolt on WS6. Long Tubes(Again, a little know how and the ls1howto instructions is sufficient as well as a friend) is the way to go and they are worth an easy 15 hp(if not more) with all of the other supporting mods, Ypipe, catback, intake(Lid, Bellows, TB) and you already have an LS6 Manifold. You could also look at a Nitrous kit.

But the suspension work would be beneficial as well. SFC's, PHR, LCA's are necessary once you go to a H/C swap, so getting it done before hand would just have you prepped for the next step.

Good luck.

Comment

Casey...

I had about 4 or 5 different friends helping me throughout the day when I did the headers/y-pipe install. It took about 8 hours in total... and we did it using a lift. Granted we are not pros, so it took us longer than it probably should have -- but I wouldn't even attempt to do headers by yourself unless you can use a lift or a good set of ramps, and have some pretty good buddies.

Not only that, but headers will REALLY make a difference in the loudness of your exhaust. If I remember from other convos with you, you want to keep this car with mild street manners... so if you do decide to go with headers, don't even consider taking the cats off.

As far as a cam install goes... I know that I wouldn't have the cojones to try the install by myself, I would rather leave that up to the pros.

If you are looking for an install that you can do on your own, in the garage, with no lift... throw a Pro 5.0 shifter in there. Pretty cool project, and not too difficult.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Thanks guys. Jay funny you should mention the Pro 5.0 shifter - that is exactly what the guys at my club said yesterday. That and the bolt-on suspension components and strut tower brace are next on the list. I know it is supposed to be an every day driver but the cars at the meet yesterday with cams and headers sounded soooo good not sure I can resist. I couldn't take the comment that my car was "quiet on the dyno" - although they said that before it was really running. When it got up to redline I was really surprised how loud it got.
          Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
            I couldn't take the comment that my car was "quiet on the dyno" - although they said that before it was really running. When it got up to redline I was really surprised how loud it got.
            Gotta love the Corsa

If you have a good, fast internet connection, give this video a download.

It will take a while to download, but I have a couple drag strip runs in there... it will let you hear what LT headers, off-road y-pipe, and the Corsa sound like

http://www.cs.hope.edu/~walters/thevid.avi
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
              Gotta love the Corsa

If you have a good, fast internet connection, give this video a download.

It will take a while to download, but I have a couple drag strip runs in there... it will let you hear what LT headers, off-road y-pipe, and the Corsa sound like

http://www.cs.hope.edu/~walters/thevid.avi
              hey thanks for the vid

btw i love cable..200kb.s

Comment

Originally posted by Mike71
                hey thanks for the vid

btw i love cable..200kb.s
                Hehehe... thanks. My best runs on video are at 24:24 and 26:22.

I had a 13.1 @ 109 too, but that didn't make the cut. Nor did the race where I blew out the Saleen .

Comment

ill make sure i check out those runs =)

also can i ask u...ballpark what a car like urs costs?? if u dont want to say its cool. ill also understand if u dont even want to think about it lol

Comment

I know you were asking Jay - BUT - seeing as I have the same car - less a few mods (damn family and all ) - I paid 23,500 for mine last year - it had 9K miles on it at the time. There is an 02 T/A convertible at the dealer right down the street - they wanted 25,980 - down to 22,990 right now - so I would say 20-25K for a really good 02?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike71
                      ill make sure i check out those runs =)

also can i ask u...ballpark what a car like urs costs?? if u dont want to say its cool. ill also understand if u dont even want to think about it lol
                      I got the GM option 1 discount on it.

Sticker was about $31K... so after the discount, then after tax, title, and license... I walked out the door for about sticker price.

It is a 5 year buy, 1.9% interest. After $2K down paymnt, my payments are $497 a month.

Comment

Hey Jay - so help me out - I have the video downloaded - but only the audio plays - which is pretty cool but I want the video. I get the error from my real one player saying that video is unsupported. I have narrowed it down to the codec not being supported - how do I fix this?

Comment

I would download Windows Media Player, and then download the DiVX codec from www.divx.com.

Comment

hey thanks for the $ info guys..i am seriously looking into an f-body right now..i was going to just mod my currecnt ride to be better suited on and off road..but it looks like ill just have 2 cars

i am however looking in a 25 y.o f-body because i live in cali..will make it a little easier i think

Comment

Nice video Jay - finally got a chance to download it and fix my player. I am ready for the track now!

Comment

Working...
                              X