Wyo Tech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyo Tech

Anyone heard of Wyo Tech? What have you heard about it? I just looked at the website and it says that their school is in Laramie WY, Blairsville PA, and Sacramento CA. Anyone heard of or graduated from any one of these schools and have any input on it and what they learned? I'd really like to find out some more info about this school.

I don't know a whole lot about Wyotech, since I've never been their, but it looks like a good school to me. When I was still in high school, a representative from Wyotech came down to our local vocational school when I was taking auto tech. He talked to us auto tech guys and the auto body guys and was a really nice guy and was really informative about the school and what they do. I was impressed and I probably would have gone their but I had no $ nor did I want to move out of my hometown.

Wyotech also has spots on TV shows like Horsepower TV and Trucks on SpikeTV on Saturday afternoons. Wyotech students even show the hosts of the shows how to do certain things like shaving door handles, etc. It looks like the students really know what they are doing.

I think Wyotech is probably a great school. I have heard a lot about automotive tech schools when I was searching for one to go to and I personally think the two best are Wyotech and UTI (UTI is expensive though from what I have been told, I am not sure how expensive Wyotech is).

The only school I know to stay away from is NATD (Nashville Auto Tech Diesel). I had a friend go their for 1 semester and didn't learn anything so he quite and came back and is now taking auto tech with me at GTC (don't ask what it is, GTC isn't great either).
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Benm109
      [B]I have heard a lot about automotive tech schools when I was searching for one to go to and I personally think the two best are Wyotech and UTI (UTI is expensive though from what I have been told, I am not sure how expensive Wyotech is).

I've heard of UTI as well...a representative came to the autoshop in my HS to talk to us about it. I thought UTI was more general though, mostly just about engines and specific types of cars like Jaguar, BMW, Honda, stuff like that...

But Wyo Tech I've heard and also if you go on the site you can see that they teach you custom stuff. Like shaving door handles, chop tops, custom frame fabrication, suicide doors etc...

I had a rep from Wyo Tech call me yesterday she told me that the average grad from Wyo Tech makes between $30,000-40,000 their first few years out, and then after about 5-7 years the average grad from their school is making around $55,000-65,000 thousand.

This seemed a bit much to me. I have no idea how much someone who graduated from that school would make. I mean a lot of it is custom work which a lot of people can't do themselves and custom work is expensive, but since it is so specific on what they teach then you can't just go to like a normal auto mechanic place and get a job, at least I dont think...you'd probably have to get a job at a shop that specializes in muscle/classic/hot rods and stuff.

Anyone know if the salary above seems unreasonable? Or is that right on?

Comment

I am not sure. Salaries vary a lot depending on all sorts of factors. Guys who work in dealerships I hear can make anywhere between $20,000-60,000 a year. And custom shops, you can make a lot of money, but I don't think a lot of people do. I am just really not sure about salaries.
        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
        Trans: TH700R4
        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Last year my son wanted to do the Marine Mechanics school at MMI (a part of UTI), in Orlando. They are a very professional outfit down here, expensive ($20K for 20 months),but you get what you pay for from a Dad's point of view.

The first month is the "try it to like it" phase where you are NOT sucked in to the $$$ for the program until the 31st day. My son opted out to go to business school instead, but his two friends from high school are still in and happy they are doing it, and feel they are getting their money's worth (federal and state student loans to cover it all).

I would recommend you visit the UTI Campus or any other school, talk with older students, talk with the instructors, find graduates in your area you could visit with, and ask the big question: Would you go there again, was it worth it?
          The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

My bro's going to Wyo-Tech in PA next year for autobody. Its gonna be $20,000 for a 1 year course, he told me thay have a 95% placement rate right after graduation and salaries starting at $30,000-50.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
            2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Working...
            X