LS1 VS LT1 elevation 5280 ft.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 VS LT1 elevation 5280 ft.

Okay guys, about 4 months ago I get next to a 2000 SS, he gives it a go and I decide what the heck and I take off. Much to my suprise the guy could not pull away. I later come to the conclusion that he must not know how to drive because he should have smoked me. Then, this weekend a 2001 Z28 challenges me and I accept the challenge. He pulls away when I drop to second gear but I catch back up. He too could not pull away. I have no idea why I am not getting smoked by these cars. Could my engine be handeling the higher elevation (5280 ft) better than the LS1 or are both LS1 cars driven by crappy drivers? Oh yeah guys, the roads were completely empty because both races were about 3 in the morning.
    94' Formula, T-56, Moroso CAI

At what speed did you guys get to? If it wasn't past, say 80, our LT1s are no push over. Don't forget that our 0-60 times are nearly the same as the LS1 times. They start to pull at the high end.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I always shut down at 80-90 MPH. Thanks for the info Craig, I didn't know they were faster in the top end.

Comment

No prob....
        You probably also have a strong LT1. If the LS1 drivers were pretty decent, and couldn't pull on you by 80-90, consider yourself lucky to have a good motor.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Elevation

Las Vegas- 2,030 ft.
          Reno- 4,498 ft.
          Tahoe- 8,610 ft.

I bought my car in vegas and had it for 4-5 months before i moved to Reno for school. I felt a big difference in low-end power. Top end, not so much... In Vegas i could pretty easily churp second, and usually third (Stock 350, 5.7L, automatic). Then when i went up to Reno i could feel a huge difference in low-end power. Caused by less oxyen getting in, but once i am dependent on the high-end power im traveling fast enought that its getting plent of oxygen. I beleive it effects the fuel injected cars even more then the carborated. Because my friends 83 Gt mustang kicks my butt off the line up in reno till i get to probably late second, early third. Whereas in vegas, getting off the line he still beats me... but only till late first, early second (semi modded 289, 5.0, manual).
          99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the LT1's push 325 ft/lbs of torque @ 2400 as opposed to the LS1's pushing 335 at a much higher RPM. Don't know if this would help you off the line at speeds under 90mph, but don't fall into the common misconception that any LT1 can be thrown aside by an LS1.

Comment

Elevation

Im guessing that v6's dont have as much of a problem with elevation as the v8's?? Because they use less air to begin with.
              99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

all I know is it didn't take much for my stock 93 M28 T-56 3.23:1 reared LT1 Formula to do nearly block-long burnouts and 4th gear chirps

the LT1 is no slouch on the bottom...or the top for that matter, the LS1 is just more beastly upstairs
                1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Re: Elevation

Originally posted by xxRillixx
                  In Vegas i could pretty easily churp second, and usually third (Stock 350, 5.7L, automatic).
                  You're the only person I know who owns an F-body that can chirp in 3rd with a stock A4.
                  Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Re: Re: Elevation

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                    You're the only person I know who owns an F-body that can chirp in 3rd with a stock A4.
                    Not really. Alot depends on the tire. When stock with bald GSCs, I could squeek a third gear shift with a HPP+ set to firm shift. Problem is that the car couldn't hook in first or second either. With crappy tires, I can see it happening. It doesn't mean you're fast...... you're actually slower if you are spinning.

Comment

lol... i could feel them break is what im saying. I dont mean that they peel out. Second it pretty good... but third i feel them just starting to break. They are 5-6 month old 245's... could be the s&m (snow n mud) tires dont have as much traction on dry pavement. -transmission has been relaced.. not sure if he did it stock. Either way- if they were slicks, im sure it woulda be a different story... just compairing the differences. :P
                      99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

I think I asked once before... where are you located? I live out by Buckley Air Force Base. It is roughly 3% per 1,000 power loss for a naturally aspired engine. What is even worse is the initial drag until you get moving...dropping the throttle and the engine just chokes and lugs. I drove a couple LS1s in the Springs, and I liked my LT1 better. The LT1 is more of a grunt with low end torque which I notice helps a lot. My '79, with a lot of torque on hand very early kicks in long before even the LT1. One of the two races I have ever had was in my '79 against an LT1 Vette late at night from light to light on Academy Blvd. at Dublin in the Springs. That guy was really ticked to go down to my "really old" T/A...the college days
                        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I live out in Thornton. Nice to see a fellow Coloradan on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoformula
                            I live out in Thornton. Nice to see a fellow Coloradan on this forum.
                            Let me know if you ever want to get together. Not a whole lot of f-body stuff going on out here. It is nice to talk to people who drive these cars.
                            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                            X