LEDs are going out...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEDs are going out...

The LED on the steering wheel controls are out...well, the left side. Its fine, but during the night, it really annoys me. How do I replace it? Also, the red LED on the passenger side door handle is out too. I thought LEDs last a very long time...what's up. I suspect wiring more than the LED itself.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Actually both of those lights go out pretty commonly.

I just replaced that little lite by the door handle about 2 months ago and it blew again last week. I think it is from closing the door too hard. I will see if I can find the part number for you - you will have to get it from the dealer.

And I saw a website somewhere that showed how to replace the bulbs in the steering wheel. You can try www.projecttransam.com or www.installuniversity.com

Here is the part # for the door handle light - 9437979
    Also the bulb is actually clear, there is just a red platic lense in the door.
    99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
    93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Steering wheel control light.

They are rather expensive units to replace. You might be able to take it apart and replace the buld inside if you have a solding iron. One of my swiches was made so I got a whole unit wich was $65. Next time I'll just replace the bulb.
      LT4KM, 160 degree TS, MAF ends, TB-bypass
      1.6 Roller Rockers, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9" Wheels F/R, 275/40R17 Goodyear F1 tires.
      WS6 Muffler, LS1 Alum. Drive shaft. 21mm rear sway bar
      Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

you can buy the bulb at Radio Shack...

I can't remember the part number...but ask for a 12V bi-polar circuit board lamp...it has two tiny pins that stick out of the base (the base is white in color)...very carefully unsolder the old one, and replace with the new one. an extra set of hands never hurts to hold the switch/circuit board.

Good luck.
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        X