wheel won't fit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel won't fit

I was rotating my tires for the first time since I had to buy a replacement wheel a few months ago. It is a refurbished wheel identical to the rest. The problem was I could not get the wheel on the left rear of the car. Came off the left front and the wheel on the rear fit fine on the front. This one just wouldn't fit flush the way it should.
    Anyone had this problem especially with a replacement wheel?
    Thanks
    Ryan
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

You probably need to grind down the cener of the wheel slightly where the hub sits. I remember reading about this being a comon problem when using newer wheels on an earlier 4th gen. Maybe someone can be more specific.......Good luck.....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Because of GM's "parts bin" approach to building cars - using parts from earlier or similar production models rather than designing new parts - they ended up with the early 4th Gen rear axle hubs being something like 0.03" larger in diameter than the front hubs. They didn't correct the problem until 97 or so. Putting a "newer" wheel on the rear of an older car requires light sanding of the inner diameter of the wheel hub opening, as noted in the post above. Common problem.

At least you noticed it. I've seen a few posts where they didn't notice it, and forced the wheel on the hub by over-tightening it..... hard to understand how they could do it... but they do.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
      X