Fuel pressure checking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pressure checking

How do I check the fuel pressure in my T/A. Because my problem is that when i go to start my car, it cranks for like 3 or 4 seconds then finally slowly starts but then when it starts running, the car rips really good. Then if i shut my car off then start it back up like 5 minutes later it starts right up, but if the car sits for 5 mins or longer the cranking starts all over agian, and is really embarassing. Having a nice car and all, and such a degrading problem. So im not sure if it is my fuel pump, filter or what. ????, How would i go about changing my fuel pump if that is the victim, thanks for all the help.
    Tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

fuel problem

there shoud be a little fitting on your fuel rail to hook up a gauge that can be bought at your local parts store. They normally come with adapters to fit almost any fuel rail, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. As far as the fuel pump goes, it's in your gas tank. That will be a little harder, but not too bad. If you have good pressure at the rail, it's probably not the pump. I would try plugs, wires, and cap first.

sorry, forgot, no cap on 96

Comment

Ok thanks for the info. I have new plugs and wires. Anybody else have any opinions on this?
      tom
      1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Firstly, when you start it, pressurize the system by putting the key in the "on" position, but not actually starting it. You should hear the pump pressurizing the system. After that, start it up...it should start right up.

If you are eager to still check the fuel system (although I'll bet it's OK), here are some steps to ensuring everything's OK...
        1) Buy a fuel pressure gauge/hose (got mine from thunderracing for $35). Attach it to the schrader valve in the back of the intake manifold. The valve is close to the fuel pressure regulator. Once it's attached, pressure the system (by putting the key in the "on" position, but not starting it). Watch the gauge, as you should see it roughly 41-47 psi. Now watch the gauge for fuel pressure drop off. If the pressure drops off quickly, you have a leak. If it stays the same, then leave it there for a couple hours and check again. Your system should be capable of holding some pressure over a few hours. If, again, you see little or no pressure drop off over time, your system is fine. Once this is complete, start the car and check the pressure. Your fuel pressure should have dropped ~3-5 psi from when it was in the "on" position.

2) If you are not seeing pressure to specification, then you can check the following:
        the fuel injectors: Remove the fuel rails and injectors from the intake manifold (both rails will come out as one piece). You should see all the injectors. Pressurize the system and see if any injectors are leaking. If are wet, your injectors are fine.
        the fuel pressure regulator: take out the vacuum line connecting the regulator and intake manifold. If you see any trace of gas in there, your regulator diaphram is ruptured and it needs to be replaced.
        the fuel pump: If you are losing pressure and the previous checked out OK, you might have a fuel pump that's going bad. In order to ensure that is the problem, you'll need to buy a fuel line shut-off valve. I can explain how to test the system further, but I think this should be enough for now.
        Good luck.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

You might wanna check the opti too. I got the same problem with mine and i can feel a power loss. Also it misses under 2 grand.

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
          Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Working...
          X