Shift light questions..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift light questions..

Anyone have one? What is the best one to use that is decent in price? ($50 or less).

Are they easy to wire up? Do I need an aftermarket ignition, or will it work on a stock car? I was looking at this one on ebay for $39:

Any ideas/input/suggestions?

Thanks for any help!
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

I'm no expert but I know that you can hook one up without having an aftermarket ignition. That's about the only question I can answer for you, sorry.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

DONT BUY THAT SHIFT LIGHT!!!! I have one and it broke within a month.

Its funny, I called tech support to hook up the light and they gave me the number to autometer tech support because they didnt have the wiring schematics on file to tell me where to hook it up. .....a month after I installed it, it crapped out.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

i had the autolite mini shift light on my CompTA when I sold it. it worked flawless. and no you dont need an aftermarket ignition. when you order it, they send you a spec sheet for the pcm wiring diagram of your year car. you feed the rpm pick up lead thru the gromet on the firewall behind the passenger dash and splice into the pcm wire for the tach. you then wire the control module up, hook the light to it..and you go. Jegs has a good price on em. they come with programable Pills that plug into the control module box. pretty slick. like.. i set mine at 6200. yet... if i wanted to let mary drive it...i'd pull the 6200 pill out and plug in the 5800......LOL......

go here and scroll down...the pic of it is there.

i almost got choked up checking to find out if the link still worked..... i gotta gut feeling im gonna regret selling this car to day i die.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4013/ta.html

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

N20LT4Bird - I went against what you said.. I searched the web, and read many reviews, and saw that everyone had nothing but good stuff to say about it... 4.5 out of 5 stars mostly.. Maybe you had a bum unit?

For the price, it looked like the best one for me.

I'll let you know how it works out!

Comment

i know this may sound kinda dumb..the only high power car i have ever drivin is the gfs bimmer with the dinan goodies..but do u really need a shift light??

take in mind i have only been to a drag strip like 3 times as a spectator

Comment

Let me know! I went with it because of the price, but as you know, sometimes that comes back to bite you.

Mike71 - a shift light is nice in that you dont have ot watch the tach when you are racing - the light tells you when to shift.
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

but what i mean is like...does it really get that hard to see it? like my tracker ( yes i know i know lol) is a stick and it doesnt seem that hard..guess ill find out when i get my split bumper =)

Comment

It's not that it's hard to see the tach, it's the fact that the tach is down, and the road is up.. Not a good combo if you're trying to watch both while wringin' out the gears.

Also, My last car was a modified turbo DSM and it had a much higher redline. I find myself wanting to stay in gear too long in my Z28.

THis should help that.

Comment

YEah man. These things are normally easy to install. Typically 3 wires. 1. 12v main 2. Ignition 3. Switch... thats about it. then u just , as they say ."set it and forget it!!" good luck
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Got my proform in.. This thing's HUGE!!!

What the h3ll am I going to do with it?! Any ideas on where to mount it where it won't look all gaudy, and not to mention blind me when it goes off?! hahhaa...

I was thinking under the dashboard, and shining at my chest.. I don't know.. Going to take some playing around with.

Any ideas?

Comment

If its just the shirt light then, you can place it on the steering col. That way when it does go off it wont be that direct beam of light in your eyes, and hit the back of the steering wheel, but maybe u do want it in ur eyes, if thats the case, the dashboard is your best bet. Good luck. And just in case it came with those plastic covers for the beam, use them, it helps... One more thing. If it didnt come with the paper that tells you where the ign. wire goes, let me know I have that graph.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                        X