Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one of these should I take?

Hey,
    I'm going to be taking a class during the summer at my community college that I'm attending right now. I got the summer catalog and Ive narrowed it down to 2 classes (both Welding) I was just wondering if anyone who has any experience with these could tell me which would teach me more and be more fun to take, thanks.

Welding 100: Introduction to Oxyacetylene Welding; Theory, safety procedures, and development of fundamental skills in oxyacetylene welding.

Welding 101: Introduction to Arc Welding; An introduction to the process of shielded metal arc welding (SMAW) emphasizing theory and application of proper welding procedures.

my opinion

I would take the Oxy Acetylene, If the Arc class includes MIG also take that, but it sounds like it is only stick welding. Oxy Acetylene is way more versatile and you will learn more than in a stick weldng class. Again only my opinion.
    NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
    (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

well, I have A LOT of experience in the welding business (literally grew up in a welding shop), and I have to ask: What are you going to be welding?

oxyacetylene welding is very good to learn how welding actually works, and the basics of welding. You can weld a lot of stuff with an oxyacetylene torch, and that comes in handy numerous times. Especially when working on a car
      Arc welding will show you real-world welding, if you will. This will teach you the more common forms of welding, and how pretty much everybody does it. Technically, this will cover MIG, Stick, TIG welding, but I doubt if they teach you any TIG, as that is for the experienced welders.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask
      my car:
      '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
      check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Working...
      X