Need brake help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need brake help

I'm overhaulin' the brakes on my 96 T/A and decided to clean up/paint the calipers. They have seen better days.

Anyway, I'm having trouble with the rears. My question: do you have to completley dismantle the parking brake assembly to remove it from the caliper? The Helm's manual states that I need to remove the large spring (rear caliper parking brake actuator lever spring) only if damaged. Has anyone removed the unit assembled?
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

I don't know if this is the way these rear brakes are but you used to have to turn the piston ad you compress it on the rear calipers. That is why the piston has 2 holes drilled in it for using a spanner wrench on it. Once again I don't know if these are that way.

I can't tell from this picture. http://shbox.com/1/rear_caliper.jpg
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Not sure about that...but let me rephrase my question.

Attached to the lower half of the caliper assembly is the parking brake assembly. It's held onto the caliper with a nut attached to a pivitoing shaft and also a caliper mounting bolt which has an Allen head on one side and a nut on the other. I want to remove/separate the parking brake assemble (leaving the cables and springs attached) from the caliper assembly. I do not want to further disassemble the caliper, just clean it up and perhaps paint it to stop corrosion.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I misread your question. That's what I get for skimming. I can't answer the question.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
        X