Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blew a head gasket.....

Its a 3.8....still a bummer though.

Haven't looked at the "good book" yet to see whats involved in changing it.

Anyone ever change one on a 3.8? Thanks
    John
    97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
    02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
    99 Bravada

Well, yes and no. My T/A has the LT1 and I just did the headgaskets and I've done the 3.8 in my GN a few times. Currently building a killer 109 block 3.8. What do you want to know?

Comment

Time involved? Money $$ How many scars on your knuckles? Any help I'll do. Thanks.....
      John
      97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
      02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
      99 Bravada

Comment

Its not that bad if you take your time. Get new bolts as they are torque to yield and can't be reused. Figure 8 hours taking it easy. Half that for a quickie
        Rob
        04 GTO

Comment

Yeah, it takes me about 8 hours to do an upper teardown, 2 head gaskets and a reassembly. It is very straight foreward, but I wouldn't suggest doing it without a manual unless you've done it before. I prefer a multi step head bolt sequence. I start by torquing each bolt in the proper sequence to 10 ft/lb, then each bolt an addition 10 ft/lb until finally reaching final torque figures. As was already mentioned, torque to yield bolts shouldn't be reused, so you cannot retorque after a few warm up cycles, that is why I prefer the multi-step. total cost is probably $185 for headgaskets and associated gaskets. Usually you can pick up a "headgasket kit" that contains all the associated stuff to do a change. Head bolts are not included and typically run about $10 per head.

Comment

Working...
          X