Project M6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project M6

It's official, everyone. Project M6 has begun. I found a conversion kit from a salvage yard off a '97 Trans Am. The trans has 70K miles and I asked the guys to inspect it for me, they said it's in good condition. It comes with everything I need to make my car stick. Shifter, pedals, center console, etc. etc., except for the wiring harness since they were out. The kit costed me with shipping $1,750. The most popular clutches right now are the Street Twin and STAR clutch Stage II and III. From what I have heard, Centerforce is junk, the Street Twin is difficult to setup, the STAR clutch can be grabby/chatter, and the SLP clutch can only handle so much power so I'm still debating on which clutch to get, any suggestions?

I also oredred the level one suspension kit from SLP. You can get the info here, http://www.stealthperf.com/cgi-bin/store/70001.html

http://www.phpinc.biz/ is the place that's doing my work, they're good guys. Everything should take about 3 weeks. I'll take before and after pictures and post them.
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Good luck! I wanted to do that conversion myself but ended up just selling it for another one that was a stick. It will all be worth it. The manual transmission adds so much. I wouldn't even consider an automatic now that I have had the 6 speed. Looking forward to seeing some pix!
    Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

You decided to have someone else do the job? I guess if you dont have the tools and stuff, thats probably a wise move. I have only had experience with the centerforce, SPEC 2 and SPEC 3. I personally like the SPEC. The stage 2 wasnt grabby - it was very streetable, but was slipping when I ran the nitrous. The stage 3 doesnt slip, but its a bit grabby and does chatter in reverse and when it gets hot. If you arent planning on adding any significant amount of power, I would go with the SPEC 2. If youre going to be building the engine in the future the SPEC 3 is a good race clutch, but a pain for stop and go traffic - but I use use it without too much trouble
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Well, I don't have a lift nor the tools to do the swap my self. The shop is literally 5 miles away from my house. They told me to go for a STAR clutch so I gave them the ok since I'm not adding any power adders to my car to put strain on the clutch. The only uprade I see coming is the LT4 conversion, but that's probably not 'till next summer.
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Working...
        X