Nfb; security light flashing on my...w/in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nfb; security light flashing on my...w/in

guys need some impute i have a 95 lumina 3.1 v6 sedan. can't start the car. car has new starter, good battery and alternator and i just did a tune up about 10,000 miles ago. the car does not start i was having accasional problems starting it but now it just gave out. i have noticed a security light (alarm) light flashing when i open the ignition key. mever really looked at that before so i don't know if its normal???? usually a few tries and car would start but today its dead. i asked at a local checker for some cleaner for electrical parts but that didn't work. they said i could order the unit from them for $74.99 ignition and key included. they called it "lock and tumbler" is this what needs to be replaced? you guys think I'm going in the right direction? please help its my daily driver about 350 miles a week. my 95 Z28 only sees fun miles and i want to get it fixed soon.
    thanks,
    Ed
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

TOW TRUCK GUY SAID...........

ok the tow truck guy said to pull the aftermarket alarm becasue its the problem. he said its the problem not the ignition?????
    what you guys think? i'm taking it off tomorrow to see what happens. i purchased the car with it and dont like it much anyways.
    ed
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

id bet it is the alarm..alot of times alarms are run really crappy and spliced into things they shouldnt be spliced into..its not un comon to hear of intermitent starting issues with an after market alarm..so id just go ahead and gank that sucker outa there

u dont really need to get it all out just make sure u get it totaly unpluged and re connect everything that was cut/spliced for the alarm if it dont work then just put it back..but i can almost say for certain it is the alarm messing with ur car

Comment

Does your ignition key have a resistor pellet in it?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

My money is on either a worn out key or a dirty ignition switch.

GM cars won't start if the resister pellet in the key is dead or the ignition switch is corroded. Clean the switch with a Q-tip and get a new key.

96 TA Sold!
          87 TA Sold!
          80 Z28 Sold!
          74 Formula Sold!
          73 Z28 Sold!
          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

key does have the famous resister pellet. so the key might be the problem or the hole ignition.do they just sell the ignition key? i cleaned the ignition last night with a spray recomended by checker dude. i have a spair key also will try that. the alarm willcome off to. hope something works...
            thanks for te replies guys..
            ed

Comment

Broken Wire ?

Hello,

The first thing I would do if I were you is to go ahead and unhook the alarm system,then if it still does it and the security light comes on,then it is most likely a broken wire soldered on the back of your ignition lock cylinder that runs into your VATS system. I had the same problem and with a new cylinder from advance auto parts and a few keys made by a locksmith I knew I had the problem fixed in a few hours with a lil of my own manual labor and around $50.00. Although you can get around replacing the cylinder by just soldering in resistors under the dash, I didn't feel real confident about going this way, but tracy and a few other guys on here if asked will probably be more than happy to run you through the process !

Hopefully it's just your alarm,but if not, I wish you the best !!!

Ron
              Black on black 1995 base t-top camaro with a 3.4L

Comment

ron,

ron,
                got some ???'s for you. the new ignition lock cylinder did not come with keys???i ask because the oem key does have the famous resister pellet. so i would figure that replacement ignition i would buy would need to come with the resister pellet keys???
                are your keys resister pellet keys???
                thanks,
                ed

Comment

Re: ron,

Originally posted by LoudLT1
                  ron,
                  got some ???'s for you. the new ignition lock cylinder did not come with keys???i ask because the oem key does have the famous resister pellet. so i would figure that replacement ignition i would buy would need to come with the resister pellet keys???
                  are your keys resister pellet keys???
                  thanks,
                  ed
                  The security light on the dash has nothing to do with any aftermarket alarm. If the light is on, the problem is the pass-key system called "VATS" (Vehicle Anti Theft System) The resistor pelet on a key can get dirty, but it will not "burn out" If the key is clean, the problem is not the key. The contacts in the lock cylinder that touch the key, or a wire in it are most likely worn out or broken. Replace the lock cylinder. You will most likely need to have keys made for the new lock cylinder. You can use a ohms meter to find out the resistance of your key and make copys... Here is a link to a chart of pellet values.
                  Vats Table
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Tracy,
                    Great info...I'm confused tho. the checker guy said that the ignition lock cylinder comes with the keys already? Are they selling me the correct part?? thanks again for your very knowledgeable info in this matter...
                    Ed

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
                      Tracy,
                      Great info...I'm confused tho. the checker guy said that the ignition lock cylinder comes with the keys already? Are they selling me the correct part?? thanks again for your very knowledgeable info in this matter...
                      Ed
                      That sounds OK... but...
                      How does the checker guy know what resistance key to supply you with? If he is supplying keys, they will need to be the correct value to work with your VATS module. I would expect him to ask you to supply a pellet value before providing you with a cylinder and keys.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Here is another great link.

VATS info
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:

Comment

keys

When I bought my lock cylinder it came with a dummy key with no pellet ( I thought all of them did ). But luckily I had just finished doing a copper roof job for a homeowner that just so happened to be a locksmith. He took my old key and put it in a machine in his van and found the resistance on it and made me up 2 new ones that would fit the new cylinder. He only charged me like $15 each but anywhere else it would have been atleast $25 each !
                          Black on black 1995 base t-top camaro with a 3.4L

Comment

THANKS guys for all your information. car is running after i found out the alarm was not the problem. i bought a new ignition lock and had new keys made with my old keys resistance. car is up and running
                            thanks again,
                            ed

Comment

Working...
                            X