still no start (93 t/a)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still no start (93 t/a)

93 Trans Am, automatic, 95k miles, ran good before, near the end seemed to loose power sometimes

Fuel is ok, timing chain ok, fuel pump ok, signal to the injectors ok. The engine stopped while I was at a red light, just died. After a few tryes it started again and ran fine at idlle, but when I pressed the accelerator all the way, it stumbled and almost stopped and the headlights flickered (battery ok). At slow acceleration it reved up ok. I started it once more that evening and since then : nothing .

The opti is pretty rusted inside but the shutter wheel and lens are clean.
    The rotor arm had rust at the end and cap contacts were pretty burned, so I ve cleaned the whole thing and moved the rotor arm tip about 1 or 2 mm towards the cap contacts.
    Now I have spark coming out of the opti at all the plugs.

I tryed starting the engine using starting fluid sprayed into the intake manifold but not the slightest sign. I can smell the starting fluid getting out through the exhaust pipes. desperate, I connected the wire from the coil to the #1 cylinder spark plug and it gave a backfire.
    I think the spark isnt good, maybe too weak. can this be the problem?

Also does anybody know:
    1. if the optical part of the optispark is bad, spark at the coil wire is still possible? or injector pulse? where does the injector pulse come from?
    2. if the rotor or cap is bad, is possible that sparks come out of the opti ?
    3. if the ignition control module is bad , sparks are possible at the coil wire?
    4. if the coil is bad, is spark still possible?
    What do you think?
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

is you intake all tight, cus mine wasnt, and if i hit a bump or something it would get a leak and cause my engine to do that. check it out..
    -ken-
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Comment

its al right, the car should start with the intake elbow off anyway, but mine doesnt even show a sign
      93 t/a A4 3.23s
      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

then the only other thing i would tell you is the relay, my friend had the same problem, and he was about to have the shop do a fuel pump for like 800 bux cus hes not really mechanically inclined and then he asked someone and they told him to change that, problem solved.
        ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

well then the only other thing i know of would be the relay, my friend had that problem, almost paid a shop 800 bux to do a fuel pump cus he thought that was the problem, even tho hes not very mechanically inlined, had someone suggest the relay, problem solved.
          -ken-
          ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

what relay? the engine turns, just doesnt catch
            93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

well i was gonna say the ignition and fuel relay, but we dont have one. my friends car was a jetta. i shoulda looked before i gave you that answer. the only thing we have is an ignition fuse.
              sorry
              -ken-
              ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

Working...
              X