3" off-road y-pipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" off-road y-pipe?

Does anybody know where i can buy a 3" off-road y-pipe for my car? I've been looking around the internet for one and all i can find is the Borla and SLP y-pipes that go into the cat. I'm not sure about the borla but the SLP is only 2 1/2 inches. I'm going to keep the manifolds on (if that even matters). thanks for your help.
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

If you are going to keep the stock manifolds, why do you need a 3" Y-pipe? (Do you actually mean 3" pipes on each branch of the "Y", or do you mean smaller diameter pipes connected to a 3" merge at the cat/off-road pipe?). You are choking the exhaust with the tiny diameter of the stock manifolds... adding a 3" Y-pipe would be a waste of money. I ran 800HP through a 3" Y to a 4" IM pipe, but it was connected to 2-1/2" header collectors.

If you are intent on getting one, a custom exhaust shop that can mandrel bend 3" pipe is your best bet.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well that answers that

If it's going to be useless to put another y-pipe on. (SLP said that a y-pipe would at 5-10 hp, but maybe they meant with their shorty headers) I'm just going to put a magnaflow cat-back on and start saving for hooker LTs. Then I'll get that offroad y-pipe. Does a hypertech chip work with headers?
      1993 Formula - 99k
      Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

A mandrel bent Y-pipe will help you. I think people get 5HP with a mandrel bent pipe and high flow cat, so you will see something close to what SLP told you with a good Y-pipe and an off-raod pipe. But you don't need a Y-pipe with 3" branches. The typical cat-back upgrade includes a 3" intermediate pipe, upgrading from the 2.75" stock IM pipe. So a 2.5" Y-pipe would be more than adequate to feed a 3" IM pipe.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

blackbird93,
          i got my borla y-pipe from thunderracing.com very good deal i believe i got it on sale for $149.99 it made a huge diff when i added a high flo cat and a slp loudmaouth exhaust. its only 3" at were it conects to catalytic converter. super sound heads turn everywhere i go i keeped my oem manifolds.
          good luck,
          ed
          1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Working...
          X