No announcement yet.

I need help from you 3rd gen. experts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help from you 3rd gen. experts!

Somehow I never ended up with one. I've had 1st. generation, 2nd and 4th. I remember the first look I got of a black and gold 82 from the dealer brochure. I thought it looked slick. I loved the 89 Turbo TA and will get one eventually. Up until right now, never even persued a 3rd gen car. There were too many other priorities. Until now...........

I just picked up an 87 T/A WS6, L98 and as fate would have it...... it's black.

Now, I have to admit I am pretty clueless on some stuff. Mine has an electric pull down for the rear hatch. Can I assume that that is an option and regular firebirds were a regular latch?

Are there any reproductions of the rear spoiler? This one is getting pretty ugly.

The car's vin checks out, but interior panels have been changed around. I think the interior is supposed to be tan/camel as there is some evidence remaining of that, the front cowl tag is missing and the rear hatch panel with the option code was swapped I guess due to color, most all of which is now black. Any way of getting a rundown of the car based on the vin? Where is the location of the build sheet?

Any 3rd gen sights you know of would be of great help.

And the learning process begins all over again.

I'd check under the seats.

In my Chevelle it was under the back seat between the spring and the foam, I just went and looked at my Trans Am and it was under the drivers seat, also between the spring and the foam. I reach under the seat and felt it under there, but I can't get it out since it is glued to the seat, so I'm gonna take me seat out when I have time and get a picture of it so I have it.

Hope this helps.
    Richard Harvey Jr.
    '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

I have a good site for buying that spoiler you wanted, as well as many other parts.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...sic_Industries

Just copy and paste it and go to body accessories as your main category, then spoilers as your sub-category, then put in the year of your car and search it. I believe they have a brand new spoiler for a couple hundred, maybe 3 or so. It's a good site for new parts for T/A and firebirds. But as always, the cheapest way to get a spoiler is to either check ebay, or go to a junkyard and try and find one that is in decent shape.
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I believe past a certain year the power hatch was standard. I've owned 3 3rd gen cars, and all of them had it. Even my base model V6 camaro had it. Look in the center console for a code sticker. That is where all 3 of mine had it.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Look for the RPO sticker. Glovebox maybe.
          Richard Harvey Jr.
          '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

first off:

go to www.thirdgen.org
            best site, hands down, for 3rd gens.

Also, how much performance-wise stuff are you doing? You have a lot to learn about the SD vs. MAF setups (SD were the '90-'92 TPI cars IIRC) and their pros and cons. The electrical is not like the LT1's in many ways, the major being that you can burn your own PROM chips (the engine's computer chip), without farming out the work to someone to do not as good of a job and be more expensive. Um, its a 5-speed, right? Anything done to the car like mods or anything? Has the TB bypass even been done?

I wouldn't call myself an "expert", but I have a TPI system that I am swapping into my car (check the sig), and have lurked at the thirdgen.org site for a while now, and I feel that I know a whole lot compared to a lot of people.
            my car:
            '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
            check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Originally posted by wako29
              Um, its a 5-speed, right? Anything done to the car like mods or anything?
              the 5.7 (L98) was never offered with a manual transmission except in a handfull of rare 1LE cars. The early 5.7 cars were all hardtops also. The idea was the torque from the 5.7 was too much for the t-roof.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by wako29
                first off:

go to www.thirdgen.org
                best site, hands down, for 3rd gens.

Also, how much performance-wise stuff are you doing? You have a lot to learn about the SD vs. MAF setups (SD were the '90-'92 TPI cars IIRC) and their pros and cons. The electrical is not like the LT1's in many ways, the major being that you can burn your own PROM chips (the engine's computer chip), without farming out the work to someone to do not as good of a job and be more expensive. Um, its a 5-speed, right? Anything done to the car like mods or anything? Has the TB bypass even been done?

I wouldn't call myself an "expert", but I have a TPI system that I am swapping into my car (check the sig), and have lurked at the thirdgen.org site for a while now, and I feel that I know a whole lot compared to a lot of people.
                First, maybe some basic performance bolt ons but it's staying basically stock. Some of my vettes were speed density so I am familiar with them. I've also done a few buildups with L98s on friends cars so I know the motor well. It's the other stuff I am foggy with. Stuff like options, parts sources, interchangeability, etc.

Second, no L98s were offered in the f-body with a 5 speed. GM was concerned with longevity of the stick cars due to the L98's torgue so they all came with autos.

This car is BONE stock except for a crappy muffler and tailpipe. There is nothing missing like air pump or anything. It is just in need of quite a bit of TLC.

Comment

name some specifics you aren't familiar with, and I'll see if I can answer your questions regarding them. I am more experienced in the whole TPI/motor part of the car rather than the car in general

I didn't know that about the 5-speeds, since a lot of guys on thirdgen.org have manuals; the T5, IIRC (yes, I know the 4th gen's 6-speed is the T56).
                  my car:

the project:
                  check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Classic Industries has all of the restorations parts interior/exterior. I have bought several things from them. At one time, they even had the GTA signature wheels. If you would like to restore the interior, weather stripping, obscure parts and pieces, this is a good resource. If you go to their website, you can download their catalog in PDF. It is very comprehensive and in color.

The problems I had with my '90 were mainly the t-tops and the body seams. I lived in Washington, and it leaked...mostly through the body seam above the rear hatch...what a mess!!! The console glovebox should have the info. you require...I am sure one of the firebird or 3rd gen web-sites will have all of the info. to decipher the codes. Oh, Classic Industries has every body piece (reproductions) for this car if you can't find a used one or if you want to redo any of it.

Overall, I liked mine...the 4th gen front suspension/steering was such a huge improvement over the 3rd gen so I never looked back when I could afford to drop the cash for the new '97. I liked working on it far more then the 4th gen LT1...it is a lot easier! I think the 700R4 was updated by '87, but I am not sure if it was '88. Anyhow, there is a break-point right in there where the 700R4 had a pretty serious flaw...although the older units can be updated. I still like the L98...having (had) fun with the Vette until the X grenaded the tranny.

Yep, I want the '89 Anniversary Edition as well...that was a really amazing car (for the 80s). However, if I have my choice, I will probably get a ZR1 or a '71 T/A 455HO.
                    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Joe, I ownded an 88 GTA with the WS6 package (L98/auto) for about 7 years so I might be able to answer most of your questions if you PM me or post 'em. Thirdgen.org does have a lot of knowledgable people as well. There are quite a few companies that make reproduction spoliers for the 3rd gens. As mentioned before, Classic Industries is a good start for the interior pieces, they should have the spoilers as well.

In my 88, the RPO sticker was in the center console.
                      Dave M
                      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I think all GTA's got the hatch pull down standard.

I had the fiberglass spoiler on my car and loved it. Struts would raise the hatch just like it was supposed to do It is incredible the weight difference of the stocker and the fiberglass one. I think I got mine from GT Autospecialties or something like that. I think thirdgen.com has the link.

Carmotorsports.com makes all kinds of things, all GM licensed. Interior stuff, emblems, covers, etc. High quality stuff.

RPO sticker should have been in the console. At least it was in 89.

Nice car, enjoy
                        Rob
                        04 GTO

Comment

some links to spoiler courtesy of thirdgen.org:

http://www.ramairhood.com/rear_deck_spoilers.htm
                          http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/fi...oilers___hatch
                          http://www.thirdgenresource.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=597
                          my car:

the project:

Comment

Congrats man

I just sold my 91 RS to concentrate on the TA, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for the 3rd Gen cars. I like the styling much better than all the others. Something about the clean lines. Anyway, The L98 responds to mods similar to a 4th Gen LT1. Better breathing all the way. Headers and a cat-back made a momumental inprovement over stock. The manifolds on those motors were crap.

Let's see, if I remember right, you should have a Mass Air car with only 8 injectors. (They used to use a 9th for cold start ). This is a good thing as many have found that the MAF cars responded better to mods than the speed density setups. Be careful of performance chips for those cars, a lot of them were set up to only trick the ECM into believeing it was colder outside. They had dubious gains, and sometimes caused more trouble than they were worth. Let me know if you need anything, I hacked on the Camaro for 10 years or so before I moved to the 4th Gen camp. Have fun

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
                            95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
                            Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Oh yeah, almost forgot

Look at Year One's site nextgen site. They have a ton of replacement pieces including the various spoilers that came on those cars.

http://www.yearone.com

Hawk's thirgen is also very good, as well as, Billy Grahams place.

p.s. The power hatch was a standard after a certain year on all f-bodies. There should be a RPO sticker on the inside of the center console, and inside the hatch, either under the carpet or inside the spare tire well. Thirdgen.org has a VIN decoder and a RPO decoder for ya if you have the sticker.

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
                              95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
                              Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Working...
                              X