difference between 97WS6 and 97regular

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between 97WS6 and 97regular

What are the engine differences between the WS6 and the stock trans am. Exhuast? Does the Ram air make that big of a hp increase?

285 vs 305 where's the other 20 hp

thanks
    Jon
    2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

The WS6 cars starting in 96, had dual cat converters (along with the base cars), different intake system along with fuctional ram air hood, larger sway bars, harder durometer bushings, specific shocks, 17" wheels, oval exhaust tips and specific badges.

The increase in HP is not an increase per se, it is more of eliminating the losses the plague the base cars. The LT1 in the Corvette made 300 HP. The intake was pretty free flowing compared to the f-body version (285 hp). The WS6 literally copies the C4 vette intake mounting it on top of the radiaor support. Now the f-body has a slightly different camshaft, so putting that filter system ups the power to 305, 5 hp more than the C4 vettes with the LT1.

In real world, the power is very similar. Back in 94, I tested my 93 speed density C4 with 300 HP. Bone stock it ran 13.87 @ 101.8
    on a cool summer night with a 74º ambient temperature. It was an automatic convertible with the performance axle with the hardtop installed. The hardtop is the only way to race a convert. the car had about 12K miles, stock GSCs (read crappy traction) I could have dropped another tenth with better tires.

My 97 WS6 on a hot summer day, 95º ambient temps, 210º heat soaked water temps, and nothing but an air foil and K&N filter (3.23s) ran a 13.89 @ 101.7 Pretty traction limited, even more so than the vette.

So basically, the WS6 just picked up a few tips to help reduce the power losses associated with stuffing the engine into the f-body. The base cars can also enjoy the increases in HP with some carefully chosen aftermarket parts.
    Both have pretty similar weight, same engine except MAF instead of speed density, similar performance in a straight line unless you go for top speed. In that, the better areo specs of the vette give it a higher top speed.

Comment

Working...
    X