electric waterpump install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric waterpump install

i am installing a electric water pump and a underdrive pully while i am changing my optispark. i noticed some where that they suggested checking to make sure the motor turns the right way before installation. when looking at the blades on my water pump they turn clockwise which seems to go agianst any idea of being efficent. i believe that they should be going counterclock wise while looking at the blades and that somewhere inside the motor it has got reversed. i just want to make sure before i install it that i do not have the motor running the wrong way.
    1994 Trans Am GT
    http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
    Ram Air hood and airbox
    headers
    exhaust
    lowered 2"
    underdrive pully
    sloted rotors
    electric water pump
    air foil
    denso plugs
    taylor wires
    tinted windows
    eagle rims
    2000 watt stereo

I felt the same way when I installed mine, but I did it the way they said to and it worked.

Comment

LT1's are reverse flow. the part I'm not gonna like is sealing the holes up, when gettin rid of the shaft
      Richard Harvey Jr.
      '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

The only hard part is sealing up the hole in the timing cover after you remove the cam drive gear. Some guys use JB weld & a coin or slug. I used a brass freeze plug, but had to reduce the OD a little - there was the righrt size anywhere. It was a PITA, but it has been on there a couple years w/o probs. If you leave that little shaft in there it might grind on the cam gear because it is only supported on one end by the seal with the water pump removed - not a good thing.

Comment

i have not heard anything about sealing the hole in the block up. man i am glade i asked. so i take it this must be done! why is it not listed on any of the pages that show the install? mine had a shaft that comes thru the block and into this litle shaft that went onto the waterpump. is this the hole that you are talking about because mine is not a hole.
          1994 Trans Am GT
          Ram Air hood and airbox
          headers
          exhaust
          lowered 2"
          underdrive pully
          sloted rotors
          electric water pump
          air foil
          denso plugs
          taylor wires
          tinted windows
          eagle rims
          2000 watt stereo

Comment

The factory waterpump has a shaft that protrudes from the front cover. One the water pump is removed, you can clearly see the shaft. In order to have the shaft protrude, there must be an oil control seal similar to the crank seal and the optispark seal. the shaft is removed, the seal is removed and a freeze plug is driven in place of the seal to block off the opening thet remains when the parts are removed. ......You won't see the hole until you remove the shaft.

Comment

so the shaft just pulls out?
              1994 Trans Am GT
              Ram Air hood and airbox
              headers
              exhaust
              lowered 2"
              underdrive pully
              sloted rotors
              electric water pump
              air foil
              denso plugs
              taylor wires
              tinted windows
              eagle rims
              2000 watt stereo

Comment

Originally posted by rufrider76
                so the shaft just pulls out?
                yep.

Comment

yust pulss out my a$$. okay i have spent a full week end and tons of othe time on this and am about done finaly. should geth the parts as i am ready for the bext step. to get to the shaft you have to remove the timing cover. once you hae that of the timing chain is next follwed by twoscrews that hold the waterpump shfrt if it where to ever work out of the block. i high doubt that has ever happend thssi shaft is in there good. i must admit i did not have a small pry bar but in the end a roofing hamer claer got the shaft out of its pressed in home.
                  1994 Trans Am GT
                  Ram Air hood and airbox
                  headers
                  exhaust
                  lowered 2"
                  underdrive pully
                  sloted rotors
                  electric water pump
                  air foil
                  denso plugs
                  taylor wires