No announcement yet.

would this cause my car to shift wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would this cause my car to shift wrong?

will my car shift wrong if i went from 272 to 373 rear end gears, its for a 94 formula with a 4L60E
    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

The computer must be recalibrated for the gears for it to shift right.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

it seems to shift fine, can it hurt my car?
      1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

Make sure you get a trans cooler. You'll be going thru a trans every year like I did.
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
          Make sure you get a trans cooler. You'll be going thru a trans every year like I did.
          Or, just toss a 6-speed in it... right Taso?

You must be really tired of replacing auto trannys. I always say... I can replace my clutch myself in 6 hours for $300. I cannot rebuild an auto, and replacing it costs at least $1800.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You got that right, Tracey. After about the 4th time my trans whent out I had about enough. I spent so much damn money on that trans I could of just spent that 1 time and bought an M6. Can't wait till she's done..
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

There is no reason for a stock 4L60E to break four times in a year behind a basically stock LT1. A cooler wouldn't be the fix either. I could see a heat related failure if the converter were upped to 2800 rpm or higher with no cooler were used or extreme stop and go driving by an person who abuses the machinery, but a correctly built trans should last considerably longer. I had my 4L60e built after it gave up at 102K miles of hard use. The low sprag let go, the sun shell had cracked and the clutches were thin. This was behind a bolt on LT1 that ran 13.0x at 105.x for many, many miles. 30K miles later, the trans shifts hard, there is still no cooler and 3.73s.

Sounds to me like someone doesn't know how to build a transmission.

A cooler is a wise investment though. I just don't brake torque mine enough to worry about it.

Now back to the shifting correctly part. Your car will shift just fine......... sort of. The shift points are set according to speed. Since the gear has been changed, the computer doesn't read your actual road speed. It uses calculations. The car will shift at every point that it is suppoed to, the only real problem is that your speedometer will be off by a considerable amount. The odometer will rack up additional miles too.

Comment

Working...
              X