NFB: I need a new daily driver!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: I need a new daily driver!

My daily driver is a 91 4 cylk Camry with 221,000 miles. It's served me well, but needless to say it's seen better days. I need to get a new car but aren't sure which route to go. I'm debating getting a cheap used car, something just to get around, or go with a brand new entry level car so I'd have the piece of mind of reliability, warranty, etc....

And which ever way I go, I don't know what to get. If I go used, my options expand because I could afford to go something larger like a grand prix or something similar.

I need something that's 4 doors and at least FWD if not AWDand under 100,000 miles. I'd like a V6 but can live with a 4. SUV's are not an option.

My main considerations are....
    new: Mazda 3 (drove it in the rev it up competition and liked it), focus, altima, something from Kia or Hundyai, etc.... main consideration is price.

used: grand prix, intrepid, pt cruiser, etc...

I'm open to any and all suggestions, I'm sure there are more out there that I'm not thinking of. My work contracts with Ford, Nissan, and Daimler Chrysler, so we can get employee plan pricing on those vehicles if I buy new, so they jump to the top of the list.

Any suggestions?
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Just from the vehicles you mentioned, I'd stay away from the PT cruiser, or any kia. I used to like the PT's but now I'm starting to hate them. And they're really not very fast, or sporty, so I don't know how much of a fun ride it would be.

My mom has a 99 Altima and 99 Grand Am (v6) and I drove them both on a semi-regular basis. I prefer the Grand am by FAR. Much more comfortable/roomy and WAY more power from the 3400. And Grand Prixs have the 3800, so it should be a pretty quick and fun ride.

However, the way gas prices have been recently, I'd go for a 4-cylinder. A friend of mine just bought an '04 Mazda 3s and he loves it. I also like them.. Did you drive the 4-door or 5-door hatch? My friend got the hatchback.. I think its also a lot nicer, and still 4 doors, so it meets your criteria. Much faster than most of the stock 4-cylinders, he says. I think it has like 160hp?

I've also heard that the new hyundais have been bullet-proof, and come with a pretty nice warranty if you wanted a new one.
    Check out the Elantra GT. 4/5 door hatchback, looks decent. Isn't very fast at all, but you can get one for pretty cheap.

Either way, look around as much as possible before making your final decision. I wish I'd done that when I bought my daily driver, because now it's allllllllways broken and I jumped into buying it.

Good luck!
    -Dean
    Working on the 80 Camaro Z28 ..
    Now driving a '90 Talon TSi AWD Turbo...

Comment

I drove the 3s 4 door. It's very nice for being such an entry level economy car. I like the altima too, but I think anything brand new will probably be out of my price range. I'm gonna have to concentrate on used cars I guess.

I like the PT Cruisers for their usefulness, and the fact that it's different from most stuff on the road. I don't need a hot rod for my daily driver.
      Dave M

Comment

Why not just get a malibu or an impala ???
        -Nick-
        95 A4 Z28

Comment

I've thought about an impala. I'm just not a fan of the cookie cutter cars... looks like everything else on the road. That's one of the many reasons I drive an f-body, you don't see them everywhere. Not a big deal when it comes to my daily driver, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. The only reason I have my Camry is because it was free. I'd drive anything if it was a good deal, but if I'm paying hard earnewd money I can't afford, I'd like something a little different.
          Dave M

Comment

My wife has a beetle. Even though they look small the are very large on the inside. It actually drives good and has plenty of power. I wish I had a turbo.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
              I like the PT Cruisers for their usefulness, and the fact that it's different from most stuff on the road. I don't need a hot rod for my daily driver.
              Oh I know you aren't looking for a hot rod.. hell my daily driver is a 95 neon. As for being different than other stuff on the road.. guess a neon is as far away from that as you can get. Oh well, I like the car.
              Working on the 80 Camaro Z28 ..
              Now driving a '90 Talon TSi AWD Turbo...

Comment

Originally posted by Dean80Z28
                Oh I know you aren't looking for a hot rod.. hell my daily driver is a 95 neon. As for being different than other stuff on the road.. guess a neon is as far away from that as you can get. Oh well, I like the car.
                I drive a 95 Buick Skylark for everyday to and from work runs.

It is a 2 door, with a quad4 and gets great fuel economy. It had 35K on it when I bought it for $3000 last year. I couldnt say no.

They are really ugly... definitely not a cookie cutter car. Not many people like them so prices are low on cars with pretty low miles. I recommend this car. It is built on the same chasis as the Grand Am.... It is also available in 4 doors, and has an optional V6. (same as the Grand Am)
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

go with the mazda 6s. you can get one nicely equiped for around 22-23. I have driven the car and that v6 has one descent set of balls and it was very comfortable. its a four door and a litte larger so it has better saftey. It handles like a modified import, they did well on the suspension and as i mentioned the power is nice. The only thing was the torque steer, it gets annoying in quick tackoffs but for the most part the car is a damn good car and looks nice too. Give it a shot next time your at the dealer.
                  86 Firebird, Just a lowly 6 banger, sold
                  Plans for an '02 WS6 are in the mix for 2008 (after I'm out of the army)

Comment

Why don't you like the Impala. I just picked up a 2004 LS and it's a great car. I got a smokin deal they took 2 grand off the car and it had a 4250.00 rebate. I also had GM card earnings. I couldn't buy a used one for the price of the new one.

Gary94Formula
                    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Working...
                    X