NFB Chevy SSR and pontiac GTO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB Chevy SSR and pontiac GTO

is the 300 hp 5300 vortec V8 in the SSR a 327 ci LS1? Is the block aluminum? I always thought those were getting V6's... I just saw one at the dealer and was surprised to see the V8.

I also looked at the new GTO for the first time in person. I think it looks like a cross of a Nean rearend and a Grand Am front. The distance from the rear fenderlip to the bottom of the window is really large, and IMO hurts the lines of the car. Other than that, it is not too bad, and might grow on me. I like the LS1 and 6-speed combo.

Another surprise was the 2004 Pontiac Bonneville. It has an available sport package with Northstar V8, and really looks great for a 4 door sedan.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

I thought SSR's got a V6 also. A friend told me that, and I really don't like them very much so I never looked into it.

Checking it out now, I'm seeing a 5.3L v8 rated at 300rwhp like you said. I'm also seeing that they're only available with a 4-speed auto?! that sucks!
    Working on the 80 Camaro Z28 ..
    Now driving a '90 Talon TSi AWD Turbo...

Comment

Actually, im pretty sure that its a 6.0 L engine. I remember reading that on the window sticker at the dealer I worked at.
      1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

The SSr is about as impracticle as a car can be. It's a nice vehicle, but it seats two and the bed couldn't fit much of anything, not that you'd want too, it's carpeted (a not-so big trunk disguised as a truck bed). It's kind of a cross between a corvette and an el camino in that it doesn't have as much room as an el camino.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I checked out the SSR at least a month ago. It has been advertised with the V8 all along, don't know how you guys missed that. The problem is that it is being marketed as a mid size sport truck. Pretty expensive and heavy, but prerforms well. It would be much better with 1000 lbs less weight.

Comment

I don't see how the thing will move with a V6

What kind of engine is pushing that thing, anyway? I always thought it was a LS1, but I just google'd it, and heres what I came up with:

Camshaft: SOHC
            Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
            Engine Size: 5.3L
            Horsepower: 290 @5200rpm
            Miles per Gallon: N/R
            Number of Cylinders: 8
            Torque: 325 @4000rpm
            Towing Capacity: 2,500/2,500 lbs.
            Curb Weight: 4,760 lbs.
            my car:
            '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
            check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Yes the SSR has the 5.3. They reviews of it pretty much sucked. I don't like it at all and when I got my 04 Impala LS they had one at the dealer and the sticker on it was 43K.

I problably wouldn't keep it if I won one...

As for the GTO I agree the back qtrs are huge. I was going to test drive one, but My Formula been paid for for years and it only has 54k on it. I don't think I'd buy one of those either. I'd probably go after a nice used vette.

Gary94Formula

1994 Formula, 2002 Firebird, 2001 4x4 S10 crew cab and now a 2004 Impala LS.
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Working...
              X