Just got a 94 Trans AM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a 94 Trans AM

I just picked up a 94 trans am, silver, nice rims, black leather, hooker headers, and dynomax exhaust. I picked it up for 5500, my question is that the car itself has 130000 miles on it but the owner provided the reciptes showing that he put a new motor in from the factory and it only has about 6000 miles on the new motor. So far it is running strong and havent had any problems. He also put a shift kit on so the automatic shifts more aggresive. What i'm wanting to know is should i be for the transmission to be giving out or the should i be preparing for any other major problems b/c the car has so many miles or did i get a good deal

It's been my experience that the trans is probably due for a refresh. The clutches have to be pretty thin by now.

Comment

how much do u think that would run me

Comment

I would just be ready for anything. My car only has 55,000 on it and the AC unit went out... So just keep a lil stash just in case.
        99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Wow, you picked it up for $5500 and you practically have a new motor. Consider yourself lucky as these motors aren't cheap - especially from the factory.
          My tranny/torque converter work costed me $1800. I would generally think that's a decent estimate, but of course that depends on what they do.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

from what i hear shift kits are harder on it and make it wear down quicker but sicne ive never personaly experienced it i coudlnt tell ya thats just what i've heard
            1986- honda accord lx 2.0 liter fuel injection 5-speed manual 211,000 miles-sold-
            1986- honda accord dx 2.0 liter carb. 4-speed automatic 200,000 miles-sold-
            1992-mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L DOHC 5 speed manual 16" ar rims -blew up- then i sold it- worse mistake ever (buying it)
            1991 hyundai excel-HA! sold
            1995 dodge neon 1.6 liter,5spd, cold air intake, short throw shift, buger bushings, stiffer motor mounts, strut towers/ anti sway, lowering kit, a couple other perf. mods , sleeper

Comment

i have pretty much the same car and i had to have my tranny rebuilt 5 mths ago. i had to pay 1200.00 but i did not know enough to change the converter at the time and that explains the 1800.00 talked about above. spend the 1800.00 if your doing it and plan on drag racing. wish i had a higher stall converter now!
              1994 Trans Am GT
              http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
              Ram Air hood and airbox
              headers
              exhaust
              lowered 2"
              underdrive pully
              sloted rotors
              electric water pump
              air foil
              denso plugs
              taylor wires
              tinted windows
              eagle rims
              2000 watt stereo

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaf8388
                from what i hear shift kits are harder on it and make it wear down quicker but sicne ive never personaly experienced it i coudlnt tell ya thats just what i've heard
                Usually a shift kit is pretty good for a tranny, or won't change how it wears. It reduces the chance for it to slip between gears, but they don't come stock like that because it is less comfortable for the average automotive consumer. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not 100% on that.

-Dean
                Working on the 80 Camaro Z28 ..
                Now driving a '90 Talon TSi AWD Turbo...

Comment

it has always been a good moto but someone recently on the board refreshed it...you pay to play just keep that in mind =)

Comment

well i just got some great news. the car i bought has no chance to meet emissions standards. it has illegal hooker header and no cats. at the time of purchase the guy told me it only needed 02 sensors to pass smog and he wasnt able to provide a smog certificate. so now i gotta replace the whole exahaust system. am i right when it says by law that the seller is responsible to insure the car passes smog and should he be financially responsible for paying for the new exhaust.

Comment

whats everyone think about this situation

Comment

Don't know about the law. But you should have insisted on having it tested before you bought it. Here in Ontario and most other places you shouldn't buy a used car unless it has been certified / inspected and emission tested, unless it's sold as is and you know that there are problems.

I guess you've been had and what looked like a good deal doesn't look so good anymore.

You can either fix it or try to sell it the same way he did, which would make you as dishonest as he was.
                        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                        X