LT4 Hotcam kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT4 Hotcam kit

I'm thinking of buying the LT4 Hotcam kit from samtaylor.com. If I buy this will I need to do anyother modifications to my car. I mean like internally to the heads. Also how much extra gain should I expect to get from computer tuning. And if I'm basically stock except for a few things what should I look to be running. I've heard low 13's high 12's with a good launch and getting into low to mid 12's with headers and intake is this true?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

The Lt4 hot cam kit is good for around 30 horsepower i hav heard. But getting into the low 12/s with this cam and some header is kinda pushing it i think maybe like a 12.5 but nowhere near the 11's with a cam and hearders, IMHO. And you dont have to do anytnig to the heads with this cam, you could of course but you dont have to. I have heard that this cam is kinda "out dated" i mean that there are alot better strong cams out these days that provid alot more power for the same amount of dollars. IMHO
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

The gains are somewhere in the 30 Hp range when used with 1.6 RR, and you could expect an additional 30hp if you get your PCM reprogramed. Other than the cam and RR's, you're going to need to replace your old valve springs. Changing the push-rods and timing sprockets/chain to stronger ones is also highly recommended!
      1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

dont know what you mean by "low 12's with an intake and headers".

headers will help tremondosly on a single cat lt1..not so much on a dual cat..unless they are long tubes. you cant do an "intake" without head to match ports. if you are talking about lt4 heads and intake..then you should go the entire route while you have it broken down:

lt4 hot cam kit (inlcudes springs) and roller rocks.
        lt4 heads
        lt4 intake
        lt4 extreme duty timing chain and gears

have the heads and intake ports polished and insure matching.

get headers.

after all is complete, and get 4:10 gears for a m6 car, or 3:73's for an A4 car....

then get the pcm custom programed.

now you are looking at 400+ hp at the flywheel and low 12's. with good driving.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

The Hotcam Kit is a proven performer and a great budget kit. There are cams out there with more potential than the hotcam, both on stock and on ported heads. The Comp XE 218/224 and 224/230 both, with the 218/224 being the stonger of the two on stock unported heads. Problem is that you are stuck spending more money overall than you would with the hotcam kit.

Something I've seen a little bit of is a rocker swap with the hotcam kit. Couple of guys with ported head setups running the hotcam put Scorpion 1.7 rockers on and picked up about 15HP at the tires each. Granted you need better springs (Hotcam is .525 with a 1.6, .557 with a 1.7) because the springs included are only good to .550 lift, but it just shows there's power to be found.
          Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

I'm also thinking of doing an LT4 conversion, but the $2,000 is way out of my price range right now... could I do it in steps? Start with the cam kit (cam and rockers), maybe do the timing chain later, then the heads and intake, then pcm programming? Is this possible/reccomended?
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Thats my plan I don't think I was clear enough. I want the cam kit not the heads and all the other stuff. I want the cam kit for $488 from sam taylor. Also when I said intake I meant CAI.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                I'm also thinking of doing an LT4 conversion, but the $2,000 is way out of my price range right now... could I do it in steps? Start with the cam kit (cam and rockers), maybe do the timing chain later, then the heads and intake, then pcm programming? Is this possible/reccomended?
                is it possible? Anything is possible.
                I don't think I would reccomend it, though.

If it were me, I would save up the moeny, and do the whole thing at once. If anything, it would be much easier to do it at once, and it would probably be cheaper in the long one.......
                my car:
                '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
                check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Working...
                X