replacing the clutch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing the clutch

The clutch in my T/A is slipping, I just bought it last week so the dealer ordered me an OEM clutch and pressure plate for free. The dealership is in VA and I am in IN so they can't do the job. Anyway, all I have here is one floor jack and four jackstands and your basic tools (sockets and stuff...no impact nor air compressed stuff). Is it possible to safely replace the clutch without a lift? The tranny looks really heavy. How difficult is it to do? I have experience with mechanical stuff and have done a clutch in a Fiero (however I was removing the engine at the time and it took me a long time to complete that project and hated every minute of it). I really do not like working on cars, but I can do it. I found a shop that would change it for $200. Should I jump on that or do it myself?
    2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

Re: replacing the clutch

I just did it last fall, on my back with nothing but a jack, 4 stands an allignment tool and regular 1/2" drive hand tools. The transmission is fairly light. I got it in and out using the lid from my coleman cooler balanced ontop my floor jack because I had nobody to help me. If you have help, just get under the car and use your muscles. Removal is really simple. remove the driveshaft, torque arm and crossmember. Remove the slave cylinder but leave the line attached so the fluid doesnt leak out. Pull out on the shift fork and disengage it from the T/O bearing. Remove the starter and dust cover. Unplug all the electrical connectors. Allow the rear of the transmission to drop twards the ground and you will now have easy access to the 6 bolts into the engine block. Use a 3 foot long extension on a breaker bar to get up to them. Support the transmission and slide it backwards, and out.
    Next remove the pilot bearing. I used the wet toilet paper method and it was great. Pack wet TP in the bearing hole and use a socket end to hammer it in. The bearing will eventually fall out under the pressure of all the TP. Insert your new pilot bearing and grease it well. I used high temp wheel bearing grease. Remove the old clutch from the flywheel and discard. Inspect the flywheel for cracks, discoloration and grooves. If it looks as great as mine did, get some emery paper and use a little power sander to scratch it up. Install the new disk, pressure plate and T/O bearing using a clutch allignment tool. Apply grease to the T/O bearing where the clutch fingers ride on it and where the clutch fork engages it. Replace the transmission, it might drop right in, it might not. You might have to reallign the clutch to get it to fit. Mine went in on the first try. Push the fork back into the T/O bearing and reinstall the slave cylinder. Test for release by inserting the driveshaft yolk, put it in gear, push the clutch and see if your buddy can turn the driveshaft. It shoud turn pretty easily with the pedal pushed. Put the rest back together and go for a ride! The clutch should engage right up twards the top.

I hope I was able to help a little.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

So the guy I bought it from is sending me new OEM clutch parts (ie pressure plate and disc). Would this come with a throughout bearing or do i need to buy one? My last clutch came with a throughout bearing so I assume this one will, however I never got my kit from GM directly (the guy is a dealer).
      2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

Comment

Originally posted by stingant0
        So the guy I bought it from is sending me new OEM clutch parts (ie pressure plate and disc). Would this come with a throughout bearing or do i need to buy one? My last clutch came with a throughout bearing so I assume this one will, however I never got my kit from GM directly (the guy is a dealer).
        It should come with a T/O bearing, I believe. You will need to buy a pilot bearing though. There are 2 kinds of pilot bearings... one has needle bearings in it and is refered to as "heavy duty" and the cjeaper one is solid. The heavy duty one cost me under $10.

The stock one in my car was the cheap solid kind.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
        X