Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA: A few things every f-body owner should have in their car...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: A few things every f-body owner should have in their car...

I just thought I'd throw this out there, with the thought that it might help someone out someday. There are a few things I always keep in my daily driver that I think every car should be equipped with just in case. I don't have them in my f-body because it doesn't see the road very much, but I should carry them in there too:

1) A few escape tools (seat belt cutter, window punch).

2) General first aid kit - some come with a blood clotting agent that could come in very handy in the event of an accident.

3) Self defense tool - this is kind of a personal preference, I keep some OC spray just in case of an altercation or the unexpected. You could keep a taser, baton, etc... purely self defense of course.

4) Small repair kit - this should consist of common sized sockets and ratchet, screwdrivers, hose repair kit, maybe an extra belt, fuses, can of fix-a-flat, an inexpensive diagnostic tool can be handy as well.

5) Flashlight.

6) Jumper cables or a portable starter.

7) A blanket and flares in case you become stranded in poor weather. You could even go so far as to keep a couple MRE's.

8) A gear bag for all this stuff.

this may sound like a lot, and it may sound like overkill, but I can assure you that you won't think that the first time you, a passenger, or another motorist gets trapped in their vehicle, has an accident with injuries, has an altercation with another motorist, suffers a breakdown (in the dark), gets a dead battery, or gets stuck in the snow on a back road. All common problems that aren't out of the realm of possibility. You may already have a few of these items, most people carry a flashlight and jumper cables, but everything on this list, including the gear bag, can be had for about $100. And the first time you need it, it'll be the best $100 you ever spent. I reccomend keeping a few of the items like the self defense equipment and the extraction tools in the glove box or center console; someplace easily accessible. The rest can be stuffed into the bag and tossed into the corner of your trunk until needed.

It may just get you out of a jam someday, or you'll be able to help out a fellow human being in their time of need. If you want info on where you can get these items, I can provide some sources.

Just wanted to pass this info along in the hopes it helps someone some day.

Thanks!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Dave, good advice. I'd throw in just a couple other things.

An A B and C fire extinguisher. Lots of automotive places carry just A & B but for a couple dollars extra you can carry an extinguisher that will put out almost anything.

Sealed sterile or at least distilled water. In a tightly capped canteen or emergency pouch.

I also keep $20 sealed in my trunk just in case I ever HAVE to have a few dollars cash and my wallet is dry.

And just some advice. Personal defense is a must, however check your local laws. Most states you can't have a "baton" and most students can't carry a "taser" onto school grounds. Some states say pepperspray is okay and some not. There is always the saying, " Its better to be judged by 12 instead of carried by 6" , however if it's just a matter of choosing between an effective legal weapon and an illegal one, I think I'd go with the legal one.

Comment

Tire plug kit (yes it's not good to plug a tire but it is perfectly OK to plug it then get it patched later) Saved my butt last week.

portable air compressor.

Pen and paper to write down info in case of an accident.

9mm

Now where do you put this stuff in a F-Body?
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

yea, good advice....and to think I have been driving around without my jack and spare tire to save a few pounds That's what I call being prepared
        2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
        buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
        Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
          Now where do you put this stuff in a F-Body?
          you can always ditch your spare and stuff it in there... plenty of room for lots of stuff...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

thats a good list...i should think about that lol esp since both of my cars will be more then 10 years old...right now i dont even have a jack ( needed room for the amp lol) i do however have AAA =)

Comment

dont forget the extra fuses............ one of each amp.

if anybody "plugs" thier tires... be sure...and dont wait at all..to get that pos plug outta there and the tire properly repaired.

the industry does not recognize that repair and now niether does nhtsa. i tried for years to get that repair outlawed. its dangerous if left that way.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Flash Lights/Medical Advice/Weapons

Don't forget a Flashlight and a trailer to carry everything........OK just joking about the Trailer.

Flash lights or some kind of lamp are a godsend in the dark. Good for safety in the dark near your car on the highway. The G36 Surefire is a really powerful and durable and small flashlight. I used it in Iraq. You're in obviously greater danger and risk on the side of a freeway or highway a help. Try to stay away from the side of the freeways and attempting a crossing. Also look both ways before crossing the street....and hold hands with your "friend".

I see Motor Vehicle accidents everyday as an ER nurse. Ask someone in the medical field about application of Bandages and First Aid/CPR. Very large bandages with something to tie them on for compression to stop bleeding is important. If your friend works in an ER or is in the medical field see if you can get something to make splints out of incase of broken bones and it may be a while before EMS arrives. Don't take the victim out of the vehicle unless they are in imminent danger or CPR/Rescue breathing is necessary or imminent. A lot of people suffer from Neck/and back injuries that potentially permanently paralyze them because of untrained personnel trying to "help". Also head Injuries are real bad, but mainly when they have lost consciousness during the accident. Don't ever let them say "I'm OK, I don't need to go to the hospital!" Their condition can slowly or rapidly progress into a closed head injury that can result in them dying when they go home without being checked out. Combativeness is a sign of potential closed head injury. In Addition, change your underwear daily.

Finally, Texas state laws regards batons or telescopic batons as illegal outside of your home in defense unless you're a lawenforcement officer. I do keep mace in the left compartment of my door ready to go. Check your state to see if they recognize Concealed Carry/Right to Carry Laws for firearms. Most states have them now but require background checks and training. I took mine right before I deployed and submitted it a approval when I got back. A lot of hoops to jump and a little cash but it's like insurance, you never really want to have to use it. As the old saying goes though "Better to be Tried by twelve than carried by six" I plan to maintain a 3" Barrel.45 carried in a fanny holster and midglovebox (it can fit in pants if needed), I'll probably carry a much smaller weapon depending where I go. Just make sure you check state laws Also eat your vegetables.

Let me know any other professional advice I can waste your and my time on
                Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

I always try to carry all kinds of little things that are easy to forget like relays (yes, I have a spare relay), belt, fuses of course, and some spare fluids (oil, power steering, ATF). Trust me, you never know when this stuff could come in handy.

And it would never hurt to have a Swiss Army knife. They are not really weapons but you can use it as one if you have to.
                  1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
                  Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
                  Trans: TH700R4
                  Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

i carry 7 things a flashlight, electrical tape,duct tape (the all mighty repairer) a little bit of bailing wire (incase your exhaust mounts break and it is scraping the ground and you need to hang it up) two ponchos incase ya have a friend and a pair of jersey gloves (cheap and easy to replcae saves knuckles and keeps your hands warm) vise grips (very very useful) i also carry jack and spare but i dont count those.. those are some thing i find essential
                    1986- honda accord lx 2.0 liter fuel injection 5-speed manual 211,000 miles-sold-
                    1986- honda accord dx 2.0 liter carb. 4-speed automatic 200,000 miles-sold-
                    1992-mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L DOHC 5 speed manual 16" ar rims -blew up- then i sold it- worse mistake ever (buying it)
                    1991 hyundai excel-HA! sold
                    1995 dodge neon 1.6 liter,5spd, cold air intake, short throw shift, buger bushings, stiffer motor mounts, strut towers/ anti sway, lowering kit, a couple other perf. mods , sleeper

Comment

i liek to carry a portable radio too becuase its always good to have some music and i ALWAys make sure my stereo works incase something happens liek you get two flats or something and i carry all my favorit cd's too
                      1986- honda accord lx 2.0 liter fuel injection 5-speed manual 211,000 miles-sold-
                      1986- honda accord dx 2.0 liter carb. 4-speed automatic 200,000 miles-sold-
                      1992-mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L DOHC 5 speed manual 16" ar rims -blew up- then i sold it- worse mistake ever (buying it)
                      1991 hyundai excel-HA! sold
                      1995 dodge neon 1.6 liter,5spd, cold air intake, short throw shift, buger bushings, stiffer motor mounts, strut towers/ anti sway, lowering kit, a couple other perf. mods , sleeper

Comment

Working...
                      X