this is for the V6 ram air guys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is for the V6 ram air guys

Do you guys think a ram air system would work on my '86 2.8L? I want to increase the air flow and get rid of those hideous boxes in my engine bay. If it wont work can some one give me th directions to make my own CAI? I have looked all over the internet and all I have found was one for like $300 and it doesnt look to stable or any better than what i have now. I have heard of people making thier own. I need to know if there are any specific parameters that i need to stay with in during the engineering of this CAI. Thanks Guys!!
    86 Firebird, Just a lowly 6 banger, sold
    Plans for an '02 WS6 are in the mix for 2008 (after I'm out of the army)

I had the same car several years ago... if I remeber the airbox right, it's similar to my 88 GTA that I fashioned a cold air intake from. What I did was simply diassasemble the airbox, then buy a universal K&N cone filter to fit on the end of the stock intake tract. You could also cut out the metal plate underneathe the filter, and use some pvc pipe to create a scoop to route cold air from under the fender up to the filter area. Some replace their stock rubber intake tract with pvc pipe as well, but I think that a bit of overkill. Your only cost would be the $30 for a filter, and a few dollars for some pipe if you go the scoop route. On my GTA, just removing the airbox really opened it up, you could hear it sucking in the air, even with the hood closed. Sounded like a supercharger. I'll try to see if I can dig up any pics of it.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Thanks Dave... Ill give that a shot when i get home... can you give me any more details on it... im sure the pics will help though... thanks again man

Comment

If you remove the lid to the airbox like you were changing the air filter, in the bottom of the airbox is a bolt. Just unscrew that bolt and the whole airbox should lift right out. measure the outside diameter of the intake tract and find a K&N cone filter with that as the Inside diameter. Just fasten it onto the end of the tract like the airbox used to be. That's the simplest route to take. From there, you can use a dremel or drill, or something simialr to cut out the plate the box used to be bolted to, this will allow some fresh air to be routed into the filter if you wish. I'll try to find a pic, but if I don't already have it on my hardrive, I don't have a scanner. You should eb able to figure it out though once you look at it... it's not hard at all.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Out standing Dave... Thanks! I know exactly what you mean... Ill do that when i get back and see how it works.. I'll let you know how it turned out!!

If there are any other suggestions I am open to them... But right now Daves idea sounds like the winner!

Thanks Guys!!

Comment

Working...
          X