wow had alittle scare today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow had alittle scare today

well i'll get to the point. i was driving home from classes today when i suddelely hear this LOUD rattle comming from unde rmy car (mostely where the shifter is) so i freak out thinking my transmission gears are commin loose. so i take it to TRC (tranny shop) and they ge it up on jacks and thankfully its jsut a noise in the cat. now i'm just wondering what coudl of gotten in their?? its ont eh passenger side. anyone have any idea?
    1997 Camaro, Z-28, 5.7, Manual 6, K&N cold air intake, custom ram air scoop, ported MAF, Resonator plug, air foil, 160 thermostat, hypertech power programer 3, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, strut tower brace, K&N valve breather, centerforce dual friction clutch, slp short throw shifter, TNL short stick, O2 simulators, Next mod will be 1.6 rockers, pushrods, and springs. any reccomendations?

Your cat is prolly falling apart on the inside... The honeycombs are coming loose and rattling around... time for a new cat.
    1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

i know exactly what you mean, I have the exact same problem but it only is reallly bad when its in reverse, or at like a stop light, jsut sitting there. Until i get it fixed you can put it in nuetral and makes it quiet.
      -----------------------
      1994 Camaro
      -----------------------
      3.4 SFI
      Z28 interior
      Imco Exaust(its okay)
      Dynotech Racing chip(waste)

-----------------------------
      1978 Firebird Formula
      -----------------------------
      Pontiac 350
      Turbo 350 Transmission
      Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
      Edelbrock 4 Barrel Carb.
      Edelbrock 14" Air Cleaner
      Edelbrock Valve Covers
      Flowmaster Dual Exaust

Comment

If it's defiantely coming from inside the cat, it's time for a new cat. As said before, the ceramic honeycomb structure inside can break apart and rattle around in there.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

yeah its definately in the cat. i had my ear as close to the cat as possiable w/o burning myself and itwas comming right from it. but hey i'm thinkin of gutting the cat? (i have NO MONEY fr anew cats) i got the simulators so i wont trip any codes. is this a good idea or bad? ive heard so manymixed reactions. i'm not really looking for performance buti woul wlike to sound alot meaner (got a 3 inch cat back exhaust with american thunder delta80 series muffler
          1997 Camaro, Z-28, 5.7, Manual 6, K&N cold air intake, custom ram air scoop, ported MAF, Resonator plug, air foil, 160 thermostat, hypertech power programer 3, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, strut tower brace, K&N valve breather, centerforce dual friction clutch, slp short throw shifter, TNL short stick, O2 simulators, Next mod will be 1.6 rockers, pushrods, and springs. any reccomendations?

Comment

Gutting the cats might cause problems passing Ca. emmisions test.
            Chris

1991 Camaro 3.1 V6 pretty much stock

http://www.cardomain.com/id/clwilson

Comment

i dont need to care abotu ca emissions i'm movin to canada b4 i need to have it tested

Comment

For some readon, OBD2 lt1s have a hard time with EGR flow when you gut the cats. It must be the dual cats and the fact that it is a backpressure flow egr. It is a 50/50 proposition that if you remove or gut the cats, you will get an EGR flow code that won't completely go away without a new program with the EGR delete. It's a crapshoot. Some throw the code, some don't.

Comment

gremlins..........

run some irish whiskey thru ur throttle body....the fumes will drive em out..............

get some aftermarket high flow cats

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

You can get aftermarket high-flow cats on E-Bay REALLY cheap. I just ordered one for my beater, it came to $35 shipped. You will pay more than that for O2 Simulators!!
                    No F-Body right now

Comment

we had some kids tossing marbles down people exh. pipes a few weeks ago..morons

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomZ28
                        i dont need to care abotu ca emissions i'm movin to canada b4 i need to have it tested
                        Don't know where you're moving to, but in Ontario we have emissions tests every two years until the car is 20 years old. Then you don't have to worry anymore.

Not sure how far the rest of the Provinces are with testing.
                        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I believe CATS have a 100k mile warranty since it's part of the Emission Control system. So you can probably get it replaced for free.
                          Dave S
                          2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                          X